1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a question about Video memory?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Muffy7, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, i'm upgrading my computer.
    Woo!

New motherboard/cpu/memory/case!

But i have a question. I'm going to upgrade to 2gb of ram, and i'm going to be using an nvidia geforce 128 mb graphics card. Is the "shared memory" in the bios under video where it takes memory from the ram and sends it to the graphics?

I'm not going to be doing much gaming, maybe a little here and there.

thanks!

2. stantley

stantley

Your video card has it's own 128MB of memory and won't take any from your system memory. The shared memory in the bios probably refers to the motherboard's onboard video. If you didn't have a video card then the onboard video would share some of the system memory.

You also might save some money and just get 1GB of memory. If you had Vista or were going to do some heavy duty gaming then 2GB would be good, but for most XP users 1GB is plenty.

3. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

believe me, i had planned on 1 gb.
    Only, the store had a really good rebate on a 2gb kit, so i went with that instead.
    just in case.

4. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

New Question....

Would it be better for me to take out the pci graphics card (nvidia geforce fx 5500 128 mb) and allocate more system ram to my onboard graphics? I can allocate up to 256mb to the onboard...So would that be better?

thanks!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you have for the onboard video? The FX5500, especially in PCI, isn't that great of a card, if you have a board with integrated Geforce 6150/6200 graphics or something similar then it might be better.

6. Satsumomo

Satsumomo

The FX5500 is better than the 6150. It may do terrible shader operations, but it's still way better performance wise.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure? The FX5500 is pretty much an overclocked FX5200, and they don't perform as well as a 6200. Now the 6150 is slower and uses system memory but it'd have a better GPU, twice as much memory, and not limited by the PCI bus.

8. Satsumomo

Satsumomo

Sorry, I was thinking about the 5700, I just checked and yes, the 6200 is better than the 5500. The 6150 though...

9. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

How much RAM does your on board graphics card have? In most cases I would say that your best bet is to use the PCI-E card but if your on board card has 256 MB or 512 MB it might be worth testing against... I definitely wouldn't commit but it is worth testing both angles. I have a feeling your PCI-E would out perform your on board. I've had some bad experience with on board and frankly I don't commit to it being concrete enough to handle a forced load. My advice is to go with PCI-E :)

10. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

Wow lots of responses!
    haha

Well, here's my mobo onboard specs....
    Integrated VIA DeltaChrome GPU
    Max. 256MB Shared Memory
    Support Microsoft® DX9

And the graphics card i have isn't PCI-E... it's a regular PCI...

11. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

Oh and also!

I use the PCI card to watch videos on my TV. It has an S-Video out. So is there any way i can use my PCI card for the TV and the onboard graphics for my monitor?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd continue to use the FX5500 in that case, your VIA integrated graphics aren't that good and if you need S-Video out then you have to use the PCI card.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice