1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question about XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jac12, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Can someone tell me what MS had to activate on Windows XP? I had a hard drive crash and had to replace it however when I tried to activate my XP I could not do it via the web. Since I had already activated it once I had to call them to explain why I needed it done again and they were not happy. How can they do that? I had to pay full price for it and by doing so thought that it was mine. I did not pay that much money for them to have control over my machine. I asked the operator that answered the phone that but didn't get an answer. I figure it's so we can only put it on one computer but I thought that once you paid your hard earned money for something it was yours. I had no idea that it was not a complete system.
    Thanks, Jac

2. davidedlin

davidedlin

Due to constant evolution of my PC, as well as the odd reinstall due to one thing or another, I have found it necessary to reactivate my copy of XP Professional 5 to 6 times in the past 12 months.

I have always received the utmost courtesy and cooperation from the Helpdesk staff at Microsoft here in New Zealand, and I suspect that you may well have encountered the helpdesk staffer from hell (or one who didn't get laid this morning).

However, there may be a key to my good fortune after all - I did take the time to formally register (over the telephone) my copy of Windows XP, and when I ring they know exactly who I am from their records.

David E

3. Miz

Miz

"...I thought that once you paid your hard earned money for something it was yours." Well, sort of..you own the CD but you don't own the software. Microsoft owns the software and you purchased a license to use it. In their license agreement (contract), which you accepted when you installed the software, they tell you all about the activation requirements.

Now, I'm not saying I'm happy with this activation thingy but the fact remains it's there and we all get to deal with it. :(

4. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

Hi David, & Miz,

Thank you both for taking the time to answer me.
    Miz, I would never ignore someone who was trying to help me. I appreciate all the help I get here even if I get a red face cause there was something that I was supposed to do and didn't.
    David, I'm very happy that you get such good treatment in the UK. Maybe my operator was having a bad day. Believe me I know about bad days as I have had a few myself lol.

I do have to say this though. If the part about the activation was in that fine print on the outside of the box there was no way I could read it even with my glasses on lol. If it was inside I was stuck anyway because the state that I live in does not allow software to be brought back if it has been opened. I understand that policy though. Most of us have CD Burners now and it is nothing to do a quick copy.

I still don't understand what they had to activate though. It was
    running or working before I had it activated and I'm not sure what is now working that wasn't.
    Thanks Jac

5. kramnnim

kramnnim

XP will work only for like 30 days if you don't activate it. After the 30 days, it locks you out, or something.

6. Huon

Huon

With XP, M$ has taken the search for anti-piracy protection a a step further. The software that you have purchased WILL become inoperable after using it for 30 days unless you activate it. This is a condition of use of the software, and you can't get around it. So everytime you reinstall, or use the OS on another machine, you have to contact them, within 30 days.
    The upside for Microsoft , is that the OS, on installation, collects a raft of information on the machine that is installed on, and allows M$ to confirm that it is the same machine, or to satisfy themselves that the previous machine is no longer running the OS, by questioning you. This feature can be activated by making changes above a certain level on the machine that you start with. If you change too many hardware components, the OS will ask to be reactivated! If you don't, 30 days later the machine will stop.
    Alternatives? Use linux:)

PS The Microsoft license allows you to use the software on only ONE machine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice