1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question for Acronis TrueImage Users

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I am using the trial version of Acronis TrueImage and I see two problems so far.

First: When scheduling backups, I can't find any way to limit the number of backups it saves. Is there not one?

Second: I see that Acronis doesn't back up directly to DVD. Do you guys actually sit there while you exchange 10- 20- or even 30 CDs as Acronis fills them? How do you overcome this?

At this point, all of my full system backups are written directly to 1- or 2 bootable DVDs by Norton Ghost and it sure is convenient.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

External USB hard drives.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Well, I guess that's one way; but, I store my backups on DVD and using a USB hard disk to image to and then having to go through the extra operation of burning that backup to DVDs for long-term storage sure would take a lot of extra time.

What about limiting the number of saved scheduled backups? Is there something I'm missing or is it just not there?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, what I've done for my image backup of systems here is to schedule a small batch job before True Image runs. I backup to a file named 1CDRIVE.TIB each week. This batch file renames the existing backups and deletes the oldest one. I keep four copies, but you can tailor it for any number you like. Obviously, you can also change the folder location of the backups.

@echo off
    if not exist H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib goto end
    if exist H:\backup\main_c\4CD*.TIB del H:\backup\main_c\4CD*.TIB
    if exist H:\backup\main_c\3CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\3CD*.tib 4CD*.tib
    if exist H:\backup\main_c\2CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\2CD*.tib 3CD*.tib
    if exist H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib 2CD*.tib
    :end

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice