1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question of ports....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevineatspen, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevineatspen

kevineatspen Thread Starter

Hello!!
    I was wondering if basically anyone could explain to me about ports in that in the device manager under ports there is COM1 listed and the printer port LPT1.My Modem is using COM port 4 though, so arent individual ports listed?
    I know this is probably basics to most on here but I find it quite confusing.
    Is COM 1 an external port and so would be used for an external modem or something like that?

2. BillC

BillC

You might find a free program called Active Ports a useful tool to monitor the usage of your computer's ports.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Only the serial ports physically on the motherboard are listed in the ports section of device manager. The other com port (3 or 4) should show up under modems. If you disable the motherboards serial ports in the bios then com 1 or 2 can be assigned to the modem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice