a Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kanadesaga

I often copy files or folders from one drive to another to free up space. I run into a continual problem, that is I can't delete the folders once copied to another drive. I get the message that it is in use by another program or person. Short of restarting my computer I can't seem to delete even after I've closed any possible programs. Is there any way or program that will tell me which program is using a folder or file so as to cease that function in order to complete the delete?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

daz1

Banned
try cut paste or copy paste not drag, explorer.exe is service so you can close it but desktop will go blank press for task manger new task type in explorer.exe or just explorer

kanadesaga

I'll try that, but I really want to find out which program is tying up the delete. Is explorer.exe the program?

calvin-c

Banned
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm is a good, although complicated, starting point. As noted at the bottom there are other programs that show which process is locking a file. I haven't found one yet that will force a process to release the file other than by killing & restarting the process. As daz1 noted, if the process is explorer then you're probably better off to do it via Task Manager since it's such a 'central' process.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online