1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A queston about reqirments to run VISTA Home

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rentonhighlands, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rentonhighlands

rentonhighlands Thread Starter

Off the http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx site to run Home Basic states
    1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

512 MB of system memory

20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

DVD-ROM drive

Audio Output

Internet access (fees may apply)

Would this be sufficiant:
    AMD Athlon 1.6mhz single core proc
    896 of ddr ram
    A sound card with 128mb ram Nvidia ( I think it is a sound blaster)(I am not sure if it can do directX 9 graphics)
    and I would have to get a DVD drive.

Would it be worth installing or....
    I am at the point where I need to reformat my drive and reinstall OS. From what I am told by a person who works at Microsoft the Microsoft store no longer sells XP. I am currently running WIN2K

I have seen different issues with VISTA and buring DVD and such. Give me your thoughts.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

That system would be dog slow with Vista installed . . even Basic. You can still buy XP at places like NewEgg

3. rentonhighlands

What about running xp pro. Is there much of a difference from running xp home or xp pro. Also I noticed that the link to newegg shows a OEM version of XP. Woud'nt I need the retail version. My computer was built by me it is not a dell, compact, gateway or anthing like that. Would the OEM work on my machine. 89.99 is not a bad price for it.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

There is little difference between Home and Pro for most home users . . for a good comparison of the two versions see this

I have a deal with my lawyer . . I don't give legal advice and he does not work on PC's . . There will be some Perry Mason wannabes chime in on this, but since you built it yourself, the OEM version is fine on your pc. For more on the subject see this

Your call . .

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

It's fine, the only main difference is you can't upgrade an OEM disc AFAIK.

The only main differences between Home and Pro are that Pro comes with a better looking "shinny" theme (which you could easily download and install on Home). And it comes with some minor differences in the system that you'll probably never notice, so it doesn't matter.

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Well...the differences between Pro & Home go a little deeper than what's been mentioned so far-but not necessarily anything you would need. How concerned are you about security? Home offers two options, Administrator & Limited User. Pro offers more (Power User, at least) and allows you to 'build your own'.

Most home users run as Administrator. I don't recommend it, but I can understand why people do it. Especially with Home. If you run as Administrator then I'd agree that the home user probably won't see any difference.

7. rentonhighlands

what does "upgrade an OEM disc AFAIK" mean. Can I have a explaination on this part please. I am very concerned about security. I run a home based wired router at this time.

8. rentonhighlands

New egg price for XP PRO retail is alot. 278.99. i currently have a copy of WIN2K and a unregistered key I might just install that instead. But I want to run Adobe CS3 and I am not sure I can run that with WIN2K.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

10. rentonhighlands

Is the main difference between OEM version and Retail version that OEM can only be installed on one machine then if that 1 machine is upgraded say the hardrive is reformatted or mobo proc is changed then I would not be able to install my OEM version again. Retail it is mine to install however many times I want to on the same machine.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Not true . . you can change any of the parts ( including the motherboard ) I have done it many times . . Usually had to call Microsoft, explain that I had to change out a bad motherboard and they give the new installation key. Their only concern was that it not be installed on more than one PC.

12. rentonhighlands

Thanks for all of the rapid responses. I am going to buy OEM version of windows home. I am in the middle of backing up my hardrive and re-installing WINXP. I have now WIN2K. Simpswr can you or anyone direct me to some posts that can help me with backing up my hardrive. I have a external hardrive in shippment to use. A quick question. Is is possible to back-up software as I do not have my original install disks for some programs.

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Not possible . . Applications have to be reinstalled to work in the new Operating System

14. rentonhighlands

If I have a copy of WIN2K with a unregistered key can I format and install that> then just buy the upgrade to XP disks?

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can . . but you do not have to install win2k first to use an upgrade version . . you can perform a clean install and early on it will ask you to insert the Win2K disc to qualify for the upgrade.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice