1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A sees shares on B, but B can't see shares on A

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OldDog9, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldDog9

OldDog9 Thread Starter

I have a wireless network at home with a laptop using XP Home edition and a desktop using XP Pro. The Laptop is a Dell, so I don't have a CD of XP Home (at least I don't think so). I got the desktop second hand, and only have a cert for XP Pro. Both XPs are SP2. Having set up and shared what I want, the laptop(Home) can see and update the shares on the desktop, but the desktop(Pro) cant see anything of the laptop. IPCONFIG shows router DCHP handing out addresses OK. laptop(Home) can PING everything, desktop (Pro) can PING everything EXCEPT the laptop. both computers can access the internet OK. I elected to join a Workgroup when I installed Pro, and both systems have the same spelling. Browsing the microsoft windows network produces the workgroup in it, but clicking on the work group produces both computers on the laptop(Home), but no members at all on the desktop(Pro).

I have messed about with some of the security policies settings in Pro, but I wish I hadn't. All the data is safely backed-up!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check your firewalls on the laptop. Since you can't ping the laptop from the desktop I would bet 10 to 1 some firewall is enabled - I.E. Windows firewall, Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm and so fourth.

3. OldDog9

OldDog9 Thread Starter

Yes! Not only was the firewall (when I found it!) blocking all this, it was even logging all the attempts.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!