1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Serious Dilemma

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Omega_Shadow, Jan 4, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow Thread Starter

Recently the shop I work at has cut hours. This is expected, as it is right after Christmas and it is a small business. However, I have incurred more bills and suspect the best way to keep out of debt is a second job.

This poses a problem. I no longer have a car for many reasons: first of witch is the cost. I walk to my primary work easily as it is not far. But I highly doubt anyone else in walking distance is hiring. Also my limited availability (3 days a week open) may cause problems with a traditional job.

I was entertaining the thought that I could somehow work from home. I have fliers out for computer repair but I get no calls. I have seen alot of adverts for work from home jobs but I know 99% of advertised "Work from home" jobs are scams, so I don't even look into them.

I am looking for any suggestions to help boost my cash-flow. Doesn't have to be much, just a few hundred a month to keep the bill collectors at bay. Thanx again guys

2. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

I don't know what to tell you about the job stuff but I do know this has helped us http://www.daveramsey.com/ we follow his FPU guide lines and we actually have saved money without changing or adding jobs.

3. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

I picked up a second part-time job at a gas station. It is easy work with rather flexable hours. Provides the added income needed. (y)

4. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

If you want to pursue the fixing PCs thing, maybe making appearances in person to local businesses that you have any dealings with, and printing out your contact info and handing it out personally.
    You seem like a very serious minded person, and bets are that you appear that way in real life. I can't imagine you having a hard time finding extra work, but of course the car thing would hinder anyone. Wish I didn't really need my van Omega.....it would be yours

5. Omega_Shadow

Thanx for the suggestions guys:
    Took two of the three pieces of advice here: I have applied for another job at a gas station not far from my current work. I am also going to sell my Data Management skills to a few of the businesses that are around my shop. On that front I got a friend referring people to me at his work to increase the amount of traffic I get

And recalculating my finances, if I dont buy extras (unfortunately, beer is in that category) and takeing into account the money I save by not owning/driving a car, looks like things will be tight but livable. I have been though worse. (y)

Still looking for any ideas. Backup plans are always good

6. teengeekgrrl

teengeekgrrl

Save. Save. Save.

Get the highest-interest bank account you can and save every penny you can afford.

If you ever have anything come up that money will be good to fall back on.

7. Bush Lady

Bush Lady

I couldn't help but respond to this. I don't have any job suggestions. But I noticed that you talk about cutting your beer consumption.

What kind of water do you have? Do you have well water or a city supply. The reason I ask this is because, if you have good well water. You can make your own beer for a fraction of what it cost to buy it. ;)

8. Omega_Shadow

lol, first up TGG:
    I got a great savings plan right now, though when I get enough saved I want to open a savings account (my bank has a minimum $100 starting ballance on savings accounts). Every time I walk home with change in my pocket I put that right into my change roller and full rolls go directly into my ammo can. I havent counted it sence I had to dip into it when I lost my job at off-target, but it is getting pretty full ;)

Bush Lady, Beer isnt THAT important :p I dont drink that much, just sometimes I like to down a few Smirnoffs while I am dealing with computer problems. :D

9. Bush Lady

Bush Lady

Shadow: Even if Beer is not that important to you. Homemade beer just tastes better. And it tastes even better when it is aged longer.

I don't want to make the beer bad down there in America, but there has to be something better than that beer you have down there.

It will just cost you to get started. I prefer using 5 gallon or 12 gallon glass bottles, because they last forever. As long as they don't brake. That is the only cost you will have.

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Actually, it should be spend. spend. spend. Unless your pulling over 5% and even then it's not really a good idea to save. The inflationary rate is around 4.25% at this time, so if you put money into a account at less than that, the money you get back is worth less than the money you put in.

Personally, I can make 30-100% off wheeling and dealing with purchases off the net and do much better than any bank account. Of course, you have to have a bank account to do this. I use checking/savings accounts with "Emigrant Direct" and a money market account for dealing. But, I have a total of eight bank accounts, so I don't have much room to talk. :eek:

Unfortunately, there is no "get rich quick" scheme. You'll have to work, and/or spend and recover (which is work), to make money.

I might as well add, SERIES I bonds have been a good investment for the last several years, and I would suggest picking some up each year, unless you have a IRA, in which case it's best to add to the IRA. Although neither can beat you, if you can manage buying and selling yourself well.

11. Omega_Shadow

Quick question: What is an IRA and is it better then a CD?

12. contralto

contralto

an IRA is an individual retirement account. the earnings on an IRA accrue tax-free until retirement; the earliest the funds can be withdrawn is age fifty-nine and a half. there is a 10% penalty for early withdrawal of the funds.

is an IRA better than a CD (certificate of deposit)? it depends upon the needs/goals of the investor.

13. Omega_Shadow

With my luck I will be gone by fifty-nine. I think I will stay with my original plan of putting my savings (still working on that) into a CD.

But that is future. Still focusing on living the now for the time being ;)

14. contralto

contralto

LOL, OS! :D (re: the age 59 comment)

there's a lot to be said for the "here and now" (y)

good luck :)

15. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Well, I went off on my own about 20 years ago, and I haven't gotten rich, but I live a good
    life....What are the business licensensing things in your state or town? And, what are
    the insurance requests?
    I started out repairing typewriters a long time ago and in our state you can hang a shingle
    for about 50 bucks for a couple of years...It evolved into computer repair, and there's
    the demand for "you"....You have that skill....Check on what it would take to start your
    own shop, (initially out of your garage, and then, maybe more...)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice