1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Simple Question About the Accuracy of "Minimum Requirements"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vhab, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a computer which has a relatively old Mobo, meaning no PCI-E. So my only graphics upgrade option is AGP. Therefore, I have decided to get the nVidia 7800 GS.
    The PSU minimum requirement is 350 W. Assuming I had a 350 watt power supply would the card run perfectly (without overheating and/or damaging itself)?

Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

350W is the absolute minimum requirement unless otherwise stated. A PSU isn't going to cause your GPU to overheat no matter the wattage. Just get a 400W and call it good.

3. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Oh right, what was I thinking...
    Will it run perfectly (or near its peak performance) on the minimum though?

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Minimum requirements are more of a warning or a "heads up" for the user.
    If you take the figures literally then you're overlooking the fact that it would be better to use a new, top quality 300w Fortron, Seasonic or Antec power supply than a tired old "generic" 450w.

That said, there's no reason not to get a 400-480w top brand PSU and then not have to worry.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What can happen is that the power supply dies or blows, or the system becomes unstable due to the lack of power.

6. brite750

brite750

yeah thats kind of a loaded question, if it was a good quality 350watt that could actually run stable at 350watts then maybe youre good, if it some cheap pos that has no chance of ever developing 350watts without frying then I wouldnt go there.

7. onedavester

onedavester

You can purchase 680 watt dual fan ps for under 50 bucks. More is better.

8. Rockn

Rockn

So more crap = better crap or crap = crap? I personally wouldn't trust any PC to a $50 680W Power Supply!

9. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

I have a stock dell PSU. Would that be considered high-quality enough to run at its watt rating?
    Thanks

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Dell would be "middle of the road" in terms of "quality.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that a marginally specified PSU would cause the card to run at less than optimum, however in relaity what will happen will be total system restarts or lockups.

The issue cannot really be determined by the wattage rating alone, it all depends on the amps per rail (12v, 5v power rail etc) and the "350 watts minimum" is a blanket approach to cover this.

In relaity its thin ice though, I would not do it as Dell will certainly not have over-engineered their PSU, even if the quality is OK. It's built to a price.

It's also modified by what else is in the box in the way of drives, what CPU and a host of other issues. All these things load the PSU power rails in different manners.

11. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Hmm...some interesting things you say. What if the card I was getting had a minimum PSU wattage requirements of 300 w (in other words, it would be 50w below my PSU wattage rating)?

Also my system specs are:
    Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz with HT tech
    1GB of unknown RAM (remember, this is a Dell(And I didnt choose it so please don't start flaming me because I'm not the one who chose Dell))
    nVidia FX 5200 128 MB
    And other than that I really don't see any other things that consume much power.
    If the sound card should be included it is a Creative Sound Blaster Live series card.

12. brite750

brite750

if youre looking for a definative yes it will work, no it wont work answer, it probably cannot be given, go to this wattage calculator, http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ and try plugging your stuff in see what it says, i know your card uses about 75 or more watts so my feeling is you would be helping yourself to get a new, quality power supply of 450watts or better

I like getting a psu that has 1/3 or better wattage over what i think i would use with everything going. ie if that calculator says my total watts is 300, then I would want a 400, 1/3 of 300 = 100 + 300 = 400, or multiple your watts needed X 1.33, ie 300 X 1.33 = 399 ~ 400

13. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the countless times all of you have helped me!

14. onedavester

onedavester

Antec True Blue series is probably the most accurate for what wattage it claims to be.

15. lordspif

lordspif

Another thing to look at is PSU efficiency. Try to find one that has an a efficiancy rating of at leat >80%. It will cost more now but save lots on your power bill later.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice