1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A slightly strange something.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brillser, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Hi all,
    C: is my windows drive.
    I have Norton av 2005, it came with my computer. I have three accounts on my machine, one admin and two limited user. recently I downloaded and installed zone alarm personal firewall.
    I only use my admin account for instalation and updates, norton and/or microsoft. We do download other third party software to one or other of the limited user accounts, save them to desktop, then copy and past to the DATA D: only from D: are they then installed using the Addmin acc.
    I'll be back, I'm sorry, but we have a nasty thunderstorm over head...

sorry about that.
    We, using zone alarm, blocked norton form updateing on the limited accounts. To day, however, I tryed to update norton on the admin. account, it gave me an error msg. I followed the advice from norton and managed to update norton. I then ran a scan, it found nothing. All seems well. Except for one, what may be but a slight enomaly, the icon for eRecovery on the admin account has changed from what it was, which I can't discribe, to one square white box with a blue bar at top.
    That same icon appears normal on the other two limited user accounts.
    i'm sorry for the long story.

It might well be nothing, but I just thought I'd ask.

2. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Sorry for the long pause, hope you guys reply, even if it is only to tell me that I should not be concerned.

3. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Yeah, it's probably nothing, but the practice of not running as admin all the time is a good move on your part.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

I'd run eRecovery from the admin account just to check that Norton/ZoneAlarm haven't disabled the application . Obviously dont go as far as allowing the utility to back up your system unless you intend doing so anyway but go far enough to ensure it is functional . I know a lot of people swear by both Norton and ZoneAlarm but I find them both very intrusive , to the point where they will do what they see fit without consulting the user .

I agree 100% with chilkotardis but would check out the aforementioned for peace of mind ....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice