A Software that stops without showing error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

burmese

I've got a problem with PowerTab Editor 1.7 .It went just fine until a week ago.I have no idea what the problem is.I've tried every malware scanning ( as much as i could ).But it seems to be the only software that have a problem. Others are just fine.
I try to run it while viewing the processes at Task Manager , PTEditor.exe just shows up and then disappears.
I reinstalled it but it didn't work either.
Please help me. I do need this program.
Thank you.
My OS is Windows XP Home edition SP1.

I don't know that program so I can't even guess what the problem is. The usual culprit would be something you have recently installed/uninstalled, particularly an uninstall which could have taken a needed file with it.

MS updates have also been known to cause problems but I don't know how you would go about backtracking to find out. Do you have an AMD 3200 CPU? Apparently, a recent MS update caused some people using that CPU to have problems.

burmese

Thank you so much for your reply.My CPU is Intel.
According to the EventViewer and what you said , My Windows had been updated automatically before the problem started.So what can i do if the problem is because of the update?
What I feel suspicious is that I installed and uninstalled the animated wallpaper.Nothing else was installed or uninstalled that time.
PowerTab Editor needs Common Controls.I thought it might be the problem,but I found that dll.
English isn't my first language ,so i'm sorry if anything is wrong.
thanks alot.

The MS Update I read about at another forum dates from 13th December and seems to cause problems with several programs/browsers and, since you don't have an AMD processor, it seems unlikely it could have caused your problem.

Unless the animated wallpaper program itself gave you problems, you might want to think about reinstalling it to see if it cures the difficulty with PTE. I am not sure about the common control/dll you mention as I am no kind of expert in these things! If you didn't get an error message, how did you know about replacing a file?

I wouldn't want to confuse things any more but I wonder if you have AdAware and/or Spybot and, if you do, whether you have run them recently?. Something in PTE may have recently been classified as spyware and removed or disabled in a scan. If you do have either or both programs, check their logs and try Restoring any recently quarantined files to see if it 'cures' PTE. If it does, you will then have to choose between the 'risk' the 'spyware' poses and the ability to use PTE.

Your English is excellent!

MysticEyes

Banned
What I feel suspicious is that I installed and uninstalled the animated wallpaper.Nothing else was installed or uninstalled that time.
What exactly is this? There are many 'free' screensavers etc. that are scumware conduits.

burmese

Thank you heaps.
Those animated wallpapers were from Freeze.com.And another program was FastMind which couldn't be run.
Common controls dll files came to my mind because I tried reinstalling/uninstalling the PTE but it still didn't work.So I thought it might be my pc that had a problem.I read the readme.txt of PTE and it said it needed Windows 95 or higher and Common controls 4.5 or higher.So I just checked if my pc had it.
I don't think my Ad-aware and spybot would be the cause because PTE had been on my pc for quite a long time and it worked well with both my Ad-aware and spybot ( now I don't use it).
Jeeezzz....It's tough to solve a problem that doesn't show up anything. :"<
Anyway....thank you all for you effort.

If PTE worked after you last ran Adaware and Spybot they, presumably, can't have been the cause of the trouble. I was thinking of what might have happened if a recent update to either program had treated one or more PTE files as suspicious and so removed them.

As MysticEyes said, a lot of wallpaper and screensaver programs can be a source of problems and, if poorly written, could have removed a needed file during its uninstall routine. I actually went to the Freezer.com site to have a look at their animated wallpapers and none of my security apps lit up, although Opera had doubts about the security/certification of their site. I didn't go any further as I didn't want to register to get a test version.

I'm going to run full scans with all my security programs just in case I picked up anything nasty from Freezer.com, although the fact that I didn't register or d/l anything should mean that I'm OK.

If you can't find an equivalent of PTE, and you still have the Freezer.com .exe file, I suppose you could reinstall it in case it 'cures' the problem. Doing that is obviously NOT free of risk, so you are the only one who can decide what to do. Also, if my theory about a botched uninstall has any merit, it could have been the FastMind program that caused it, assuming that you uninstalled it when if failed to work. So we're back to square one!

burmese

Hi again guys.
I turned off Dr Watson debugger and run PTE.
It showed something like this.
"the instruction at "0x73ddf9eb" referenced memory at "0x00000058". The memory could not be "written".
Do you guys know what causes it?
It was Dr Watson that automatically debug PTE behind,so I couldn't figure out what the error was.
Okie.....now i'm happy coz i know what the error is. :D
Thanks guys.

Sorry, that is way too technical for me.

A Google search on the error message produces one hit (which is extremely unusual), and I don't understand the response to the question anyway! ;http://laheyforum.com/showthread.php?p=10789#post10789

One thing I did notice is the reference to Fortran which, although it can be used with Windows, seems to be mostly associated with Linux. Perhaps PTE or the screensaver were compiled with Linux. That might explain the language of the response in the Lahey forum which looks to me to be software coding instructions.

burmese

Yea TOGG.
I saw the thread on laheyforum and I didn't understand :p .
That's why I posted it here.
It seems to be an unusual problem. :(
Since I don't know Linux,I don't know what i should do now.
Okie.. thanks alot for your suggestion.
take care.

I have almost certainly been muddling the technical terminology here, but I think Fortran is a language that may have been used to compile PTE (although it may also be used as a compller for Linux which is, of course, an Operating System, not a computer language).

Whatever corrupted your copy of PTE, did you d/l a new version when you tried the reinstall?. If so, did you run a Registry cleaner after uninstalling the old version?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
TOGG said:
I have almost certainly been muddling the technical terminology here, but I think Fortran is a language that may have been used to compile PTE (although it may also be used as a compller for Linux which is, of course, an Operating System, not a computer language).

Whatever corrupted your copy of PTE, did you d/l a new version when you tried the reinstall?. If so, did you run a Registry cleaner after uninstalling the old version?
Fortran is a pretty widely used, and now ancient, computer language. Fortran isn't used for any of the Linux kernel that I'm aware of, that's all written in C.

burmese

My memory is fine.I've tried everything i can.
It still doesn't work.
I wanna give up and take a look for another similar program.
Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online