1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A sudden case of missing NTLDR

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BoneDaddy, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

Hi all at TSG! I come to you with a problem that is beyond my modest computer skills and lurking abilities; my NTLDR has seemed to disappear!
    Everything was fine last night when i was on my computer but when i woke up this morning and booted her up i recieved the "NTLDR is missing" error message with instructions to use control+alt+delete to restart and try again. I have not recently installed any new hardware or changed configurations and the only new software is Diablo2 and its expansion which has been on my computer for a week now (its run fine in the past and never caused any problems). I've been reading through the forums for most of the day and tried several different suggestions to fix my problem but to no avail. I've tried using a boot disk i made off of a friend's computer, rebuilding the boot record using the recovery console, and i even tried that NTLDR "fixer" disk that i downloaded from a link i frequently see posted. Nothing has worked. The only interesting thing is that when i use that fixer program (the one that gives you 10 boot options and you have to go through every one to find one that works) is that instead of getting a missing NTLDR message, i get a hal.dll error instead! So i go back into my XP cd and expand the hal.dll into the system32 folder on my drive and try again but now i'm back to the NTLDR error! :mad:
    I really dont know what to do here and any help is appreciated! Also, i'm not tp sure how vital this is but my drive is labeled D: although it is the only HDD in my computer, when i try to use the recovery console i only have one option for an OS to explore and it is labeled C:. I'm not sure if how this happened is important to my current situation but i can explain it if necessary. Again, any suggestions here would be a big help and hope to hear from you soon. Oh, formating is also out of the quesion as i have no backups of my current papers, projects, and other data.

Thanks in advance!

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  3. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

I checked out that link and it wasn't exactly the problem i was having since it involved updating an older version of windows to XP. However i did some of my own searching on the microsoft site and found an article was more like what i am experiencing. I'm going to try it out and post again if there is any change. Heres a link if someone wants to read on.. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397

4. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

Anyone out there experienced enough with this situation to help me? Everything i do either ends up with the NTLDR error or the hal.dll error. Could it be that the boot.ini is looking for windows on a drive that doesn't exist? As i mentioned, my drive is labeled D: however it is the only HDD in my computer. Is there anything i should try if i put my drive in another machine as a slave?

5. MTDrew

MTDrew

to be honest, everytime i have seen this it is a bad sector on the hard drive that is the root cause, and since its the ntldr you cant even get into safe mode can you. as mentioned above, remove the drive, find a nice friend and plug your drive into his and backup your data.
    or buy a cheap 80 gig, or most tiger direct places will sell a 5400 rpm drive for cheap, they are generally used for backup drives anywho, nice place to store all your data in the event of these crashes. i can find 200Gig drives here for like $50 canadian. good luck .. ill check back and see what you are doing .. if anything email me [email protected] and reference this site.

6. klnaj

klnaj

This might sound strange/unpractical to all of you but it did happen to me.

Few days ago my computer was having the same problem like yours. I recieved the ntldr is missing error message and OS couldn't detect the hard drive. At first I was thinking the OS was corrupted. But instead of running the cd disk or reinstall the OS, what I did was swapping the hard drive power supply connector. And this solved all my problem.

I am not sure will this going to help you but you always can give it a try. Hope this will help.

7. Stallcup

Stallcup

8. MTDrew

MTDrew

No, this makes sense is some instances, generally you want your hard drives to use seperate power lines coming from the PS. but this is only really a problem with 2-300 Watt supplies.

but the general error would be IO malfunction, not ntldr.. just my 0.02c

9. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

A friend let me install my HDD in his computer to try to work on it and i was still having the same problem so i'm pretty sure its not an issue of connectors or power cables. However, i noticed something when i did this, i was almost able to boot windows off from my drive when it was functioning as a second drive in my friend's computer. I say "almost" because i was able to get to the screen to select safe mode however, i got yet another error during that boot process that involved some long obscure file that i didnt have a chance to copy downand i cant remember :(

10. MTDrew

MTDrew

no you need to install your hard drive as the secondary dont try and boot like its your pc, i know you stated "secondary" but sounds like you are trying to boot from your drive.

11. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

i tried both, when set as a slave i was able to explore my hard drive and everything seemed fine except i was locked out of my documents. I then tried booting using my drive and got as far as the "almost" safemode

12. MTDrew

MTDrew

if you are getting permission problems while accessing your my docs its a corupt windows profile or something has marketed all your atributes to read only

13. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

So would that cause the NTLDR error i've been getting?

14. MTDrew

MTDrew

as ive stated above imo ntldr are generally the cause of a bad sector on the hard drive, windows has had trouble marking that area of the disk and has written on it and cant read it anymore.
    so yes one can cause the other to F up. while your hard drive is in your friend pc, perform a full surface scan on that problem drive. you should be able to work around the oermissions and get access to you data, this is why i always recomend that ppl store my docs in a location other than the default, because of this.

while the drive is in your friends pc, boot his computer normally with your drive connected ofcourse, browse to your drive and right click your my docs>propertys and check the attributes uncheck read-only and see if you can access it

15. BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy Thread Starter

Ok, so pretty much the only option i have is to salvage what i can from my drive using a friend's computer and then reinstall windows and format thw whole thing. Before i go off and do this does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice