1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Talk with Grandmama.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Jan 21, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

I think this is so refreshing among all the political and fun threads here in random. Just thought I'd share it with you all and hope it touches your heart as much as it has mine. God bless you all. :) Take care. angel :)

<b>A Talk with Grandmama</b>

By Marsha Brickhouse Smith

CBN.com --I took my grandmother's hands in mine, carefully looking at them. These hands had made biscuits for my Granddaddy. These hands had soothed fevered brows. These hands had held mine as I took my first steps. These were hands I loved with every fiber of my being.

"Grandmama, what do you think life is all about? I mean we go through so many times that hurt us so deeply, and when we love, we run the risk of getting hurt all over again."

She smiled a smile ... a smile that showed wisdom of years and love for me, and she spoke these words, "Honey, life is all about loving, and giving, and watching your babies grow. It ain't about being rich, or climbing the social ladder. It is about honoring your fellow man, about keeping your word, and about loving through it all. It is about realizing you only get one chance on life's stage. And it is about realizing nobody else has the part you do. God gave you a part to play out on this stage, and nobody can play it like you do."

"You talk about loving and being hurt, well, I tell you that is for sure. But you know what, it is worth it all. Just think, even if you lost your love, at least you knew it. At least for a little while on the stage of life you touched the edge of splendor."

"Life is about realizing you are here for a purpose, and then life is about doing what God put you here to do. So many people are searching for something, trying to find out who they are. I tell you in my day, we did not have much time for searching, we were too busy being."

"And one more thing, life is about realizing you did not get here by yourself. Somebody up there loves you far more than you can imagine. The good Lord has put a dream inside each one of us, and we are to live out that dream to the best of our ability."

We sat on the porch late into the evening. I leaned my head upon her knee as she talked of her younger days, of loving Granddaddy, and of her babies. As I listened the crickets began their night symphony. The stars began to shine as we got up. I lingered as I heard her voice echoing through me, "Life is about loving, about being, and about living out your dream."

I would remember this night for many years to come, just as I would the years of love, and Grandmama. Years have passed, the crickets still perform their evening symphony, and Grandmama's voice still echoes through time and space.

"Remember you get one chance on life's stage, and only YOU can play your part. "

Life's a stage. We are on it, the curtain has risen, and the dream has been born. There is no rehearsal. This is the real run.

I know one thing for sure, Grandmama knew her part well.

2. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Thanks Angel. A lot there to think about:)

:) :cool:

3. angelize56

Penny: Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Pm'ed you! Take care. angel :)

4. $teve

$teve

another one for you angel......yours reminded me of this,aint heard it for ages.....just got the album out now.;)
    actually saw the guy sing it onstage over here in 73

From the album "Lean On Me: The Best Of Bill Withers"

Grandma's hands
    Clapped in church on Sunday morning
    Grandma's hands
    Played a tambourine so well
    Grandma's hands
    Used to issue out a warning
    She'd say, "Billy don't you run so fast
    Might fall on a piece of glass
    "Might be snakes there in that grass"
    Grandma's hands

Grandma's hands
    Soothed a local unwed mother
    Grandma's hands
    Used to ache sometimes and swell
    Grandma's hands
    Used to lift her face and tell her,
    "Baby, Grandma understands
    That you really love that man
    Put yourself in Jesus hands"
    Grandma's hands

Grandma's hands
    Used to hand me piece of candy
    Grandma's hands
    Picked me up each time I fell
    Grandma's hands
    Boy, they really came in handy
    She'd say, "Matty don' you whip that boy
    What you want to spank him for?
    He didn' drop no apple core"
    But I don't have Grandma anymore

If I get to Heaven I'll look for
    Grandma's hands

5. angelize56

$teve: That is a precious song! Thanks for posting the words. We can all learn from our Grandmamas'! :) Take care. angel :)

6. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello,

Do any of you remember your great-grandmothers? I don't, I'm afraid.
    I would have liked to have know about them, but the families didn't keep records.

Penny:)

7. $teve

$teve

yes,i remember mine....she died when i was about 9 years old.......from what i can remember,she used to scare me with stories of one of her ancesters,who she told me was one of the pendle witches that were hung in the 17th century,:eek: i dont think it was true but she had me fooled........the scabby old bat looked like a witch too :D
    i once was sent on holiday with her,"to look after eachother"
    we shared a room for a week,it was horrible....she was as deaf as a gatepost and snored.it was like sleeping with an asthmatic pit pony.

aaahh!.........takes me back that does;)

8. littlemar

littlemar

Never knew any of my grandparents. My dad's mom died when he was 7 and his dad died when he was 12. My mom's folks were in Italy and grandpa died before my mom came to America and grandma died when I was 8.

My hubby still has his grandma so Nikki has a great-grandma. in addition to two sets of grandparents. She is the sweetest person in the world, but very busy with all her card clubs. When she wants to give you a kiss she grabs your arms and just pulls you over there. Now I'm 5'2" and she is shorter then me but that woman really has the strength to get you off balance.

I was always sorry that I didn't know mine. :( I wonder to this day what they were like.

9. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Steve and Mary

It is a great pity that our grandparents, etc, didn't think to keep more information about themselves recorded for the people to come after them. I suppose it just wasn't thought about. I know that more people are keeping records now. We must all have some very interesting people in our backgrounds who we will never know!!

Poor Steve and his grandma witch - sounds very scary!! The only "old" relative I remember was an old great-aunt. We used to visit her when we went to Yorkshire (Hull) as children. She was bed-ridden and blind, and always gave us 6d each. She had a row of little black elephans on her mantle shelf which fascinated me. We were always given the same food to eat - eggs scrambled with tomatos in them!

Penny

10. angelize56

Hi Penny: I remember my Great Grandma Elizabeth Aitken. :) She had white hair done up in a bun...she was 100% Scottish so she had that lovely Scottish brogue to her voice. She made delicious scones for Sunday get togethers. Unfortunately she died when I was around 10 or so. I still vividly remember the funeral luncheon at my Uncle Russ's house afterwards. She was a lovely lady with lots of tales to tell. Never scary. Take care. angel :)

11. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Ah, so you have some British blood, Angel! That's nice:cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice