A tough Exchange 5.5 to 2000 migration question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RegalGS

Here's the objective:

Migrate 150 mailboxes from an Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 (running on Windows 2000) to a server on another domain running Windows 2000 and Exchange Server 2000.

The problem with the source domain is that the Exchange server is not the domain controller, it is a member server. The admins at this location decommissioned the domain controller and took it offline WITHOUT running DCPROMO on any member servers. The member servers are now unable to rejoin another domain, and I cannot establish a domain trust since it requires the domain controller to be present. Even EXMERGE will not work since it needs to access the mailbox AND the user account for the user it is tied to. I tried another utility, called Exchange Migrator from NetIQ, but this software relies on having a domain trust, which cannot be established now.

The solution I plan to try tomorrow is to install Exchange 5.5 on another server, move the private store to that server, isinteg -patch it, verify the services come back up, and then install Exchange 2000 on THAT server. After that, I plan to move the private store on to the final Exchange Server, which is already running Exchange 2000. After I use ESEUTIL to get it online, I plan to System Manager on the destination system to manually tie the mailboxes to the user accounts.

I have two questions: Have I done everything possible on the source member server? Do you think my proposed solution will work?

Thanks in advance for any help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online