1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Trend-Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Check gave this result

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Olivepetunia, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Olivepetunia

Olivepetunia Thread Starter

I have a Dell DIMENSION 4600 running Windows XP.

Periodically an alert window pops up with the following message:

Trend Micro PC cillin Internet Security
    Security Check
    The following security vulnerabilities were found on this computer.
    Risk Potential Threat Related Bulletin
    High MS04-027
    High MS04-028
    High MS04-033
    Very MS05-005

Windows updates are designed to patch the operating system to fix known Microsoft security vulnerablilties

I have logged on to Windows update which tells me that there are no urgent updates available for my computer. I tried a search in Windows Update for these bulletins with no result. The bulletins listed have different numbers. I have no idea where this message comes from. Is this some form of virus?

Would appreciate some assistance to determine if there is something serious to be downloaded or something to be removed from my computer.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just google for those bulletins, I was able to find them right away.

3. Olivepetunia

Olivepetunia Thread Starter

:cool: Silly me! It never occurred to me to just search the net. I thought that if you went to the Microsoft download site and searched for the security alert number you would actually find something, but there is a completely different sequence of numbers for the download files than for the alerts. After some intensive downloading the message is now clear, i.e., no security threats found. Thanks for the assist.

4. delafoo

delafoo

The first thing you should do is DUMP trend micro. Even AVG free is better coupled with Zone Alarm Firewall.

I presonally recommend Kaspersky... used to recommend ZoneAlarm Suite until they were bought out by Computer Associates, now they $uck.

Trend Micro tends to over-react on the small stuff that is usually benign, and under-react or not recognize many out bound connections.

~BB

5. PRAY.FOR.PLAGUES

PRAY.FOR.PLAGUES

Ugh. Don't get me started on Trend Micro.. We trialled it and had nothing but problems. We certainly did not waste our money on it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice