1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A tricky one: file permissions with dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Davebomb, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davebomb

Davebomb Thread Starter

I have a hard drive with four partitions: two seperate installs of Windows XP and a file storage partition for each install, all are NTFS. The idea is to have a "clean" version of XP and an "experimental" version that I can play around with and install suspicious software on. So I've got this dual boot set up and now I'd like to restrict access between the partitions. I don't want a virus to be able to migrate between partitions and I don't want to accidentally save files in the wrong partition and forget where I put them. By keeping my files on seperate partitions I hope to save myself a lot of backing up when I reformat, and to eliminate the need to defrag so often.

C: Win XP Pro [MAIN]
    D: MAIN_STORAGE
    G: WIN XP Pro [ALT]
    H: ALT_STORAGE

So when I boot to the (main) XP I want only access to C: and D:. When I boot to (alt) XP I want only access to G: and H:. I have tried to do this with permissions by logging on as Administrator in Safe Mode, but When I make a change as (main) Administrator, the changes seem to also affect permissions set by (alt) Administrator. If I deny users on (main) XP access to H:, users on (alt) XP are also unable to access H:. There seems to be a conflict between the Administrator accounts because I'm dual booting two versions of the same OS. Making changes in one Admin account affects the way both OS's operate.

Is there a better way for me to do this? Am I wrong in thinking that the Admin account should control only the OS, not the entire computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!