1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a tweaked SSD & Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesx121, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

I put my question here because its hardware based right now-----
    I have a windows 7 OS running on a Corsair SSD---- its been tweaked for the SSD with storage on a HHD.
    right now its running fine.. built in 2012 I believe.
    been hearing a lot about windows 10 to come out this summer as a windows update---
    I have always heard that U should do a clean install---this won't be possible using windows update tool.
    here is my main question--should I secure wipe my SSD with my Corsair Toolbox , then do a clean install
    of my windows 7, then let it upgrade to windows 10 ??????
    or just leave my SSD as it is and just use windows update to install windows 10---
    I have TRIM turned on and its been running like a peach since day one--
    P.S. if I leave it as is--will the windows 10 upgrade fail since I have my windows 7 tweaked for a SSD??

thanks
    James

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    AFAIK the update will be free but I don't know if a clean install will be possible for free, you may have to buy 10 to do that.

Was 7 a clean install onto the Corsair SSD ? What model SSD is it ?

3. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

the SSD is a 120gb Corsair Neutron--

yes the windows 7 is off a install disk---

they say that windows 10 will come from windows update
    so I don't figure U could do a clean install--
    thats why I wonder if it would be a good idea to do a
    clean install of windows 7 first--then upgrade to windows 10

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I asked because I have a Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD myself, very pleased with it and it's red too. ;)

I think I would try a normal update from 7 first and see how it runs, you could always do the clean install of 7/update to 10 later if you need to.

I suspect there will be a lot more information about installing 10 soon.

5. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

the only thing about my Neutron SSD is that their is a firmware update available for it--- 208
    I used the Corsair toolbox that came with the drive---I followed instructions and it hung up
    half way through the install of the firmware. I thought I had bricked my drive---- not knowing what else
    to do I forced a restart-----luckily it hadn't got to the part of writing the update to the drive---shows 206 still
    so it started up just fine & has run fine ever since--- been afraid to try again--cost too much at the time to brick it---
    I might try to update it if I ever secure wipe it.
    when the firmware update came out my system had been running for a few months----
    so maybe windows didn't like the firmware update---who knows ????

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I haven't tried updating my SSD's firmware (yet !).

Seems similar to a Bios flash and the advise with those is only do it if you know you will get some real benefit from it.

Also I've read it's a good idea to temporarily disable AV software before doing a Bios flash, might be a good idea for a firmware flash as well.

Probably best to follow the old saying - "if it ain't broke don't fix it". ;)

7. silkmoose

silkmoose

When I installed the samsung pro 840 ssd, somewhere in the manual it said that if I were to update to a new OS, a clean reinstall is required for optimal performance. I'd say go for a clean install if possible.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is what I would do;
    1 Before doing anything, make an image of your ssd. Use acronis, clonezilla or whatever imaging program you want.
    2 Go ahead and do the update.
    3 If all is well, great. If not, it takes all of 5~10min to restore your ssd from the image. You are right back where you were prior to the update.

SSD drives from a few years ago were temperamental and did require some tweaking of the os. Modern drives like the samsung 850 are really much better. You just install the drive and you are done. No real tweaking necessary; it just works.

9. jamesx121

jamesx121 Thread Starter

silkmoose::
    the whole reason I asked is because as of this posting Microsoft is saying
    that the upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update will be free.
    well with Windows Update there isn't a install DVD.
    and so far there is only speculation on whether there will ever be a install DVD for Windows 10
    because why would stores carry a free piece of software on their shelves ,, that they can't sell
    maybe Microsoft will wait a few months & then issue a paid version to the stores to sell to the public ???

the major quandary is what will happen if you need to re-install Windows 10
    in a couple of years

will you still be able to redown load it from Windows Update for Free
    or will you have to go buy a paid version to get the install DVD???
    we will see---
    my plan is to do a clean install of Windows 7,, then upgrade to Windows 10

10. Dougx789

Dougx789

Even if the OS is free forever, it wont stop shops charging for a copy.

In the UK we have "pay as you go" sim cards for phones. Most supermarkets carry these and charge £1 for them. However, you can order them for free from the network provider.

1. Make a system image of your system now as it stands (using Acronis, Macrium, etc etc, which ever you prefer)

2. Reinstall Windows 7 activate it etc. Then make another System image.

3. Upgrade to Windows 10, drivers, update, active etc etc. Then make another system image.

If anything ever goes wrong, you just use the image to reinstall a full, activated system within a couple minutes with no need to reactivate or re-install drivers etc. (You can pick between your current set up, a fresh install of Windows 7 or your install of Windows 10 as you will have a system image of each!)

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Even after installing 7 with SP1 already included with (or slipstreamed into) the install media there are still around 170 windows updates to install. If you make an image after doing all the updates (and installing all the correct drivers) restoring that image is a lot faster than another install of 7 + the updates.

You can also make a new image after installing all your favourite programs and tweaks which will be even faster compared with the first time you do it.

Also as already mentioned the restored OS will not need re-activation. The image made with many imaging programs can also be used as a file and folder backup and you replace individual or multiple files using it without doing a full restore.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice