1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A very damaged computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cndy0924, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

Biggest computer problem ever. I was given a computer that had Windows 98 on it and everything was deleted on it and I mean everything. Here are some errors that I'm getting:
    Missing Windows\EMM386.EXE
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS File on Line 3
    The following is missing or corrupted C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    Cannot find WIN.COM, Unable to load Windows.

I know that this sounds very bad but all I want to do is to get it running so my daughter can do simple reports on it. Is it possible to fix? Please help. I do have a master cd for Windows 98 and a mater cd for Windows 95. It is an old Packard Bell computer. Please don't tell me to throw it away.

2. pipercub

pipercub

Does your computer have a CD ROM and are the Win 98 and 95 on CD's? If so,I would format the HD and install Win 98 or 95 which ever you feel most comfortable. Formatting the HD will give you a clean starting point. Post back if you need more help.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you say MASTER CD, what exactly do you have?

Is it a complete install cd or a restore cd from another system?

A restore cd from another system isn't going to work.

By the way, welcome to TSG. :)

4. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

What the computer does from the very beginning when I turn it on: The regular start-up screen takes place meaning it's recongizing cd rom, floppy, etc.... then it goes straight to a black screen that says: Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
    1.Normal 2.Logged 3. safe Mode 4. step by step 5. Command prompt only ( this is highlighted) 6. safe mode commandprompt only.enter choice **Warning Windows has detected a Registry/Configuration -error Choose command prompt and run scanreg. Well I do that and and it takes me to another screen that says 1. DEFAULT 2. SUPPORT
    NO MATTER WHAT I CHOOSE IT TAKES ME BACK TO SQUARE ONE OF MY PROBLEM.
    WHEN I MENTIONED THAT I HAD A MASTER CD IT'S THE MASTER RECOVERY CD THAT CAME WITH THE COMPUTER AND I TRIED TO BOOT FROM CD AND REINSTALL WINDOWS BUT THE IT WONT TAKE.
    PLEASE HELP AGAIN.

5. ratchet

ratchet

Cndy0924,

Since you don't have any thing on your hard drive and have access to internet, I would recomend that you re-format and re-install windows. First go to CMOS Setup Utility and check the boot sequence, it should be A, C, SCSI or D. Just follow directions in lower right corner and exit and save once you have the right sequence.
    Now reboot with start up floppy disk in A drive, type help at prompt find and follow direction to FDISK and then Format C:/s. then you will be able to install windows.
    You can down load a bootable startup disk here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ or if you run win98 on your computer you can go to help and it will walk you thru it.

6. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

:( well i reformatted the harddrive and then tried to install Win 98 and 10 minutes in recovering the system black lines started to fill the screen and then it just stop recovering. What happened?
    Lost in Space!!!!!!!!!

7. ratchet

ratchet

Cndy0924,
    Did you see any of the windows setup? Did you run scan disk? You can clean cd with soapy water rinse and dry with soft cloth, no paper products. and try it again. possibly a bad cd???
    I printed the startup help 7 pages to insure I got it right,
    goofed a couple of times but your harddrive doesn't care.I'm looking for some better instructions to format now I'll check back later.
    Check out how to use F-Disk....
    (Q255867) @http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

8. ~Candy~

Cndy, is there a number on top of the master cd?

If I'm not mistaken, I think you need to boot with a restore bootable floppy disk from Packard Bell, not a windows 98 bootable floppy.......

9. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

WELL I GOT AS FAR THE REINSTALLING WINDOWS FROM THE CD THAT I HAVE AND IT WAS WORKING JUST FINE UNTIL IT GOT 10% OF COPYING WIN 98 FILES TO MY HARDDRIVE THEN IT FREEZES.
    I'M NOT THAT UPSET BECAUSE I FEEL I'VE GOTTEN ONE STEP FURTHER. BUT I AM ABOUT TO TRASH THE COMPUTER. I DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS ON THE OTHER COMPUTER.
    CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY IT'S FREEZING AND NOT DOING A COMPLETE INSTALL? :confused: :confused: :confused:I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP IM GETTING THIS IS A BIG LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ME. THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT IS TRYING TO HELP! HOPEFULLY ONE DAY I'LL SAY LETS CELEBRATE IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

10. ~Candy~

Hi again, please use lower case letters so your posts will be easier to read :)

Are you giving it a bit of time before you decide that it freezes?

Is that the disk that came with the PC? What does the top of the disk you are using have written on it?

Did you see my last question?

11. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

Sorry about the caps (my bad)

Well the cd that I'm using is a recovery master cd by Packard Bell
    which the computer is a PB. The lady that I got the computer from did give me another cd and floppy that is Win 95 and it says
    PB on it too. The computer used to have Win 95 on it. then she put 98 on it. Then her kids deleted everything on it. I just cant get it to work. You said I might need a bootable floppy where can i get that?

12. ~Candy~

Ok, now we're making progress.

The PB floppy disk is what you'll need to boot the computer with.....maybe you'll have a set of options, like RESTORE.....then you'll need to install windows 95, since that is what was on it originally.

13. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

Okay now I just went to the computer and It had an error message on it saying that i should load windows from MS-DOS
    I don't know how to do that.
    When I try to put in the orgina PB Cd and PB floppy and reboot
    It starts to work but then it says:
    Unable to recognize cd rom Error Level 100

14. ~Candy~

Boot with just the floppy disk in the drive first.......let me know what it says when it finally stops......

and what it says along the way, or what choices you need to make.

15. Cndy0924

Cndy0924 Thread Starter

:rolleyes: Oh dear here we go:
    Booting up with only the floppy in
    Starting W95...........
    computer is recongizing all
    hardware
    after the floppy it says
    the floppy liights up:
    Microsoft RAMdrive version 3.06
    Virtual disk c:
    Disk size: 512K
    Sector 512 Bytes
    Allocation Unit 1 Sectors
    Director Entry : 64
    Win 95 Version 4.00. 950
    Master Restore Diskette v3.2W

then the next screen says:

Unable to determine CD-ROM drive

Errorlevel is 100

A:\ _ (<--- Cursor is blinking)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice