1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a very unusual q...pls help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gerin, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gerin

Gerin Thread Starter

First Name:
    Paul
    Hi. I hope everyone had a Happy Easter.
    This is weird and perplexes me and everyone I ask: My computer doesn't have anything that seems like a major performance problem, but it does one funny thing. I have SBC Yahoo DSL and use the modem and ethernet card they sent me, as well as a Linksys Ethernet Firewall Router. (I only have one computer; the router is just for security.) What's weird is that every time I boot my computer, there is a better-than 50% chance that there will be no Internet connection. When I look in Control Panel under Network Connections, there is no ethernet card listed except one called "1394 Connection". I don't know what that is, maybe something built in to the motherboard, but it's not my ethernet card. I have to shut down and reboot, maybe several times, before I see another item listed called: "Local Area Connection 6" or: "Local Area Connection 7". Then I can connect just fine. What's going on here? Bad ehternet card drivers was my first thought, but then I figured in that case the card would show up in the Control Panel or Hardware Manager but wouldn't work right, instead of not even showing up as if it's not there.
    Thanks for any suggestions. It's a major pain to boot up, shut down, reboot again, then repeat as many times as necessary.

2. Lance1

Lance1

I would remove the NIC card and replace it in the same PCI slot and test it. Or just move the existing card to another PCI slot and see if that works. It could be an IRQ issue.

3. Gerin

Gerin Thread Starter

First Name:
    Paul
    forgot to mention that I tried that on the suggestion of someone already

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The 1394 is the firewire port, not relevant to this problem.

5. natcom

natcom

check with your network card manufacturer for updates drivers login to the system as administrator on safe mode and remove your network ethernet adapter and update your ethernet adapter the next time windows reboot

6. Gerin

Gerin Thread Starter

First Name:
    Paul
    thank you

7. funkyamazon

funkyamazon

SBC suggestion-
    I have been having major problems with my internet connection as well and one thing I found that worked exceptionally well with SBC Global was to remove their software and only leave the connection engine. I ditched the SBC browser quite a while ago with great success and only left in EnterNet 300 and connect manually.
    If you are uncomfortable with doing this on your own, SBC will tell you after some prodding from tech support how to do it with them on the line. I think people have different programs for connection depending on when they signed up and where they live. (mine is Enter Net) All I know is SBC's browser installs spyware even if you don't use it. I have used Mozilla since Firefox was a beta and still had SBC browser problems keeping me from connecting properly. It would uninstall the drivers for connecting weekly. very annoying and my spyware problems decreased significantly after removal.
    Good luck!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/346583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice