1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A very, VERY weird crashing/freezing issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G1ZM0, Apr 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. G1ZM0

G1ZM0 Thread Starter

Copied and pasted from a different tech support chat. I was very split between posting this under hardware or Windows 10, but I can't pinpoint the issue and I have a hunch it's hardware so posted here.

In short, computer is crashing/freezing and the cause is unknown. It started about a week ago, and would only happen when playing relatively demanding games. One monitor would turn into a random color (usually blue or red) and the other would turn into another color with vertical stripes running down of a lighter shade of that color. No inputs work as far as I can tell, and I hard to reset or shut the computer off. Since then, it has been getting more frequent. I'm not sure if it happens at random at this point, but it recently crashed while I was browsing both Edge and Chrome at the same time. I've run monitoring software while triggering these crashes/freezes - nothing out of the ordinary. No temperature spikes (everything is sub-65C).

Me and mi amigos originally thought it was the GPU because of the visual aspect. HOWEVER... When the computer crashes/freezes, I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button, or I can reset it. One of two things happens.

A) The computer restarts as normal.

B) The computer turns on and the lights in the tower all turn on, but the monitors do not trigger (aka no signal, doesn't wake up, blah blah blah). On top of that, my keyboard/mouse will usually light up on a normal startup. They do not when this happens, which gives me doubts about the GPU theory.

There isn't a pattern I can see as to which option happens. It's just random. I've run memory tests, system file checks, and a GPU hardware test. So far nothing (though I haven't been able to see results from the GPU test, as a crash will occur without warning and the data won't be saved). I have tried Ctrl+Shift+Win+B during a crash to no avail. Reliability checker, event viewer, and all the logs like that don't show anything about a crash or freeze. The only thing that shows up is an error about the computer not being shutdown correctly that occurs whenever I turn the PC back on. My next step is booting Linux and trying to get a freeze going to see if I can isolate it as an OS issue. I will most likely do a clean reinstall of Win10 this weekend regardless. Google searches haven't been a help... only thing I haven't tried from my searches would be the clean Win10 reinstall.

Is there anything else I should test/check in the meantime? I just need this thing to survive this semester before I start a new build.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12236 Mb (12gb is stupid i know)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 110 GB (10 GB Free); D: 931 GB (45 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (458 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, 970 GAMING (MS-7693)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. G1ZM0

G1ZM0 Thread Starter

Definitely don't have 8 processors btw.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Which memory test did you run ? If it is the Windows' own memory test - it is useless. Go download and burn the memtest86 ISO. Boot it and let it run overnight.

Random crashing doing totally unrelated things usually point to RAM problems.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually you do; the 8350 is an 8core processor. In addition to running memtest, post your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and also while running a stress test ie prime95, OCCT, cinebench, etc.Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.

I never use msi boards however [I think] msi has monitoring software for your board. Here is a link to the support page;
    https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/970-GAMING/Overview
    Download and install command center [under utility] Post the requested data here OR post screenshots of command center.

5. phillpower2

phillpower2

If I may chime in with an observation folks :)

Rather low on the amount of free storage space on the C: and D: drives/partitions.

SarahSims likes this.
  6. G1ZM0

G1ZM0 Thread Starter

UPDATE: Didn't get email notifs. Whoops.

After some troubleshooting, replacing the GPU actually fixed the issue. That, and a loose SATA connecting the OS drive to the board. Not sure if the problem is 100% fixed since I'm running a vastly weaker GPU and that might not cause enough stress if it's a different issue, but it'll hold me over until my new build this Summer. Thanks guys!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice