1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a Visual Basic Installer

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

hi, im using visual basic 6.0.

I would like to know how to run a program of a disk (floppy, cd, hd) from my visual basic program.

I'm making a master program to autorun on a cd that brings up a menu where you can choose which program to install. On this disk i have setup exe's for msn messenger, yahoo messenger, dap 5, etc. And i want to be able to click a button in the vb program and call those programs to run.

2. TimCottee

TimCottee

Use the Shell Function:

Shell "d:\setups\msn\setup.exe",vbNormalFocus

However what you are trying to do is not as easy as you might think. VB requires runtime files to run an application. If the computer that you are running this on does not have these runtime files then your application will not work.

It would be far simpler and possibly quicker to create an HTML page with some simple VBScript to run these commands. That way you don't actually need the VB runtimes assuming that the user has the VB Scripting Runtime support installed (should be there if they have IE but not necessarily with NetScape).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice