1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A way t determine the type of original installation from Product Key??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Is there a way to determine the type of original installation from the product key?

Example: I get computers for troubleshooting/repair that have the COA on the side/top and I need to set up the OS from scratch because the OS is too malware infested for cleaning. I have several kinds of installation disks here, full version retail box, retail boxed upgrade, OEM, Academic, etc., etc. and the owner has no OS disk.

The only way I have determined this in the past is to simply load one after the other until I find the one the product key works with. Is there a way to determine ahead from the product key which CD is required?

Unless you are a licensed attorney (a member of the Bar in your state) and you specialize in software copyright issues, please don't sidetrack this thread with legal issues. We have the COA attcached to the case and there is nothing illegal about this.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the COA is stuck to the side of the case, I'm betting this is an OEM copy. I've never seen the COA in that form for a retail copy. I have a few retail copies of XP-Pro here, and the COA is firmly glued to the box, and there's no way I see of getting it off. :)

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

You're right about the sticker; but, I have run into situations where I have a COA and the OEM copy of Windows I have doesn't work with that key.

I don't need to remove the COA.

By the way, I have had customers who wanted a new case and I needed to get the COA moved. I did it with WD40 and a dull window (paint) scraper. I used a dull one so I wouldn't scratch the case and the WD40 acted as a lubricant that helped protect the finish on the old but still usable case.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As mentioned by JW, I have only had case stickers supplied with OEM versions, but if the PC is a Dell, HP or similar large "brand name" they have a "golden key" (royalty) series of CD keys that probably require a matching Windows version.

More detail is here, although you are probably familiar with the site?
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=506

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice