1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a WEB SITE is asking for my email and THE PASSSWORD. (should i break the sacred rule)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sharky, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

a company Netflix is asking for my email and its password for a free trial offer.

should i be concerned. one email i have is not very important and contains no sensitive material. nevertheless, ?????

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

are you trying to get into that site?If its a matter of registering your name to use whatever they have or offer??????? then perhaps... but consider the site & be cautious as not to elect to get other spam etc..

use the name Sharky

but Im concerned with how you got to the site? if its something you stumbled on or was referred to?

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

this company which seems to be advertising everywhere including non internet sites(an ad flyer came in my dvd),says it needs my email and password during a 5 step process to begin my trial subscription.

here is a paste:
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Your trial is totally FREE, and you can cancel anytime, for any reason,
    with no obligation.

Enter Your Email and Password

Enter Email Address
    Example: [email protected] or [email protected]

Password

----------------------------------------------------------

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

before I did that I'd find out what their prvacy policy is. Especially if you will end up paying them something online.

You don't want to join it if you are required to fill out a lot of personel shopping questions that have nothing to do w/ what they sell either.
    But this is just my opinion

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Im not only considering spam... Im also trhinking of spyware.

6. ezymony

ezymony

If your going to give out an email address get you a hotmail account and give your real email only to family and close friends.

7. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Sharky

I think what they probably want is your email address and for you to make up a password for their site, not your email password.
    You should never give out your email password.

8. deuce

deuce

Sharky... Lisa and ezymony both have good points. It seems you two have this under control... but I just want to chime in to say that I have used NetFlix before. They use your email as your user name and to also communicate things to you... mostly new releases and stuff. The password is your password you want to use to the site. Don't worry about giving them your email. It is still a good idea to use free emails (such as yahoo and hotmail) for these things... but this is a legitimate company and I only recieved one or maybe two emails a month... if that at all. After I canceled it they never sent anything else. Just a word about that company though... what they have is a good deal and I liked it... but where I live it would take 5 days for the DVDs to come in the mail. It is free to ship back when you are done and you can keep them as long as you want, but I would pick one and by the time it would come I wouldn't always want or have the time to watch it... so that is why I canceled it. I usually don't have time to even watch movies, so on average the price I pay renting at Hollywood Video is the same as I paid to NetFlix... but if you live someplace where the DVDs will come next day or two days, then it might be worth it... but that is just all my opinion.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice