1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A whole big bag of problems!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dacomer, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dacomer

dacomer Thread Starter

Where to begin - my system is in such a mess that it's hard to know how to explain it coherently.

First of all, I'd like to apologize in advance if I've submitted this in the wrong part of the forum. I chose this section because it has to do with XP, and since so much seems to be wrong with my computers I thought I'd start here instead of posting separately in the networking/hardware/software/spyware categories.

My computer is networked with my son's, both running XP Pro with a broadband connection. Both of our computers recently (within the last month) have had their motherboards replaced, and in the case of mine, a new hard drive and processor as well.

While mine was away at the "computer hospital", my son's was hooked up to my broadband modem and ran perfectly well. However, once I had mine back up and running and with the network cable plugged back into his, all of a sudden he can't access the internet anymore. Checking the network connections in the control panel, it shows that he is indeed connected but it still doesn't appear to be working. He's tried pinging my computer, our ISP, his dad's and a few others without success. His IP address is coming up as 169.254.x.x, and that's not a good sign, is it? I tried to repair the connection and got a message saying "The following steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP address."

Now, with my computer it gets even stranger. First of all, throughout the day it freezes on a regular basis (today I had to reboot 8 times between 8 a.m and 9:30 a.m., for example). When I check the connection, it still shows that I'm connected - I just can't access any websites. I checked with my ISP - no problems on their end, and when the broadband modem is plugged into my laptop it works just fine (that's how I'm writing this now), so it doesn't appear that the modem is the problem in and of itself.

When the computer freezes (often with just a vast expanse of white screen in front of me, other times whatever page I'm currently on just sits there - you get the idea), if I disconnect to see if I can reconnect to rectify the problem, I sometimes get the response "The PPP link control protocol was terminated" but usually the response is that the reconnection failed because "the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner". When that happens, the only thing to do is reboot.

For the last three days, the weirdest thing of all is that between the hours of approximately 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., I can't surf at all. I can't ping. However, if things go as they have been going, by about 2 p.m., I'll be able to stay online and view web pages for a few hours and then at about 6 p.m. the constant hanging/rebooting process will begin all over again.

Last thing, on my computer: when I boot up I get an error message saying "Hardware error 1024" but without any indication of which bit of hardware it refers to. I've checked everything in the device manager and it says all my bits are working properly. I can't find anything online to explain what Error 1024 is.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is to do with lingering effects from spyware removal, in the form of some screwed-up registry entries. I use Adaware and Spywareblaster. Until a couple of days ago I also used Spybot, but I read on another forum somewhere a posting from someone with a problem similar to mine who said it was fixed when he uninstalled Spybot - when I did the same thing, my computer actually did run better for a few hours but then the freezing problem started all over again.

If any of you reading this are wondering why I haven't contacted the computer guy who built my new machine - well, it's not for lack of trying. I've been trying all week and neither his business phone nor cellphone has been answered, and I believe it's because he sees that it's me on caller ID and just won't answer because he figures I've got problems that he either can't or won't deal with (or possibly I'm being paranoid, but I'm extremely frustrated). He came highly recommended too!

Many thanks in advance for any useful comments or advice you knowledgeable types could give this more ignorant one about all this...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice