Solved A Windows Update Has Created Problems on My Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

referee07

A couple of weeks ago my Acer computer updated Windows, and immediately afterwards when my computer booted-up again, I saw a blue screen with a large smiley face indicating that something went wrong (apparently with the boot-up), and Windows apparently tried to fix the problem. Well, Windows couldn't fix the problem and I was given several options to try to fix the problem including getting rid of the update. Well, that didn't work and for a couple of days I tried fixing the problem using Windows' suggestions but like the old saying goes, doing the same thing and expecting a difficult result.... (You probably know the rest.) I took my computer to my local computer shop where a tech told me that he would try to use special software that he had to fix the problem. Well, that didn't work, and he told me that he could reinstall Windows and that he could save my files but I would lose all of the programs that I had installed. I took my computer home and tried to fix it myself again. (I even trued to use a Macrium Reflect back-up that I had but that wouldn't work either.) Finally, I tried the Restore function again going back approximately one week, and my computer was restored to where it was before the Windows Update.

Now, my computer is showing that the updates are ready to be installed but I don't want to try to install them. And, I am wondering what I should do. Can anyone make any suggestions as how I should proceed. Apparently, the updates are really important, and I guess that I want to install them on my computer, but I don't want my computer to go back to the blue screen with the large smiley face. Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.

referee07

A couple of weeks ago my Acer computer updated Windows, and immediately afterwards when my computer booted-up again, I saw a blue screen with a large smiley face indicating that something went wrong (apparently with the boot-up), and Windows apparently tried to fix the problem. Well, Windows couldn't fix the problem and I was given several options to try to fix the problem including getting rid of the update. Well, that didn't work and for a couple of days I tried fixing the problem using Windows' suggestions but like the old saying goes, doing the same thing and expecting a difficult result.... (You probably know the rest.) I took my computer to my local computer shop where a tech told me that he would try to use special software that he had to fix the problem. Well, that didn't work, and he told me that he could reinstall Windows and that he could save my files but I would lose all of the programs that I had installed. I took my computer home and tried to fix it myself again. (I even trued to use a Macrium Reflect back-up that I had but that wouldn't work either.) Finally, I tried the Restore function again going back approximately one week, and my computer was restored to where it was before the Windows Update.

Now, my computer is showing that the updates are ready to be installed but I don't want to try to install them. And, I am wondering what I should do. Can anyone make any suggestions as how I should proceed. Apparently, the updates are really important, and I guess that I want to install them on my computer, but I don't want my computer to go back to the blue screen with the large smiley face. Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.

I forgot to include the following information in my original post:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20201006010510.000000+540
Processor: AMD A9-9420e RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (566 GB Free);
Motherboard: SR Squirtle_SR, ver V1.22, s/n NBGNV1100W923062327600
System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n NXGNVAA027923062327600
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have never seen a smiley face on a blue screen.
Can you post a image of it?

referee07

David, I can't post an image of it because once my computer was restored to a previous date, I did not see the blue screen again. When I did see the blue screen with a large smiley face in white, my computer was unable to boot-up and so I am not sure that I could have captured the blue screen at that time. Thanks for your reply.

referee07

I am hoping that this problem has been solved. I took my computer back to the same computer shop where the tech tried to get past the blue screen with the white smiley face after I was able to restore the computer to an earlier date using the "Restore" function, and he (hopefully) turned-off the system update function. According to him, I will still receive important updates such as Defender updates, etc., but I won't be getting any System updates. I think that this is good because I really don't want to have Windows 11 on my computer with the possible bugs that will need to be worked out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online