1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A windows xp question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AJScott, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AJScott

AJScott Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Got a weird issue here. I've got 2 PC's both running Windows XP. Now one of them the hard drive isn't working it won't boot, so a reformat is in order. I have a Windows XP disc and a windows serial key, now the serial key is for another computer that needs upgrading to XP. (I know, how far behind am I?)

Can I use a windows XP key more than once? If I reformat this broken hard drive, and I register it with this key can I use it again. OR can I reformat it and not put in the CD key and put one in later?

Thanks

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    If the XP disc is an OEM (an OEM key) .. It can only be installed in the original computer it was first installed in.
    If it's a full XP .. It can be moved to another Computer, But can only be installed in one computer at a time.

You should be able to install it in the other Computer ... If you use the other Computers serial Key

3. valis

valis Moderator

moving to the XP forums.

4. AJScott

AJScott Thread Starter

okay I can try that.

However if is already in use and I can't install it more than once what will happen? Will I be unable to boot that PC since it has no OS installed?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    You should be able to install it .. But you may not be able to get it validated and update it.
    A phone call to M$ may be required.

6. AJScott

AJScott Thread Starter

Alright, I'll have a go. Cheers

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you do a hard drive format and clean reinstall of XP, make sure you know the identity of the devices in that computer and have the XP drivers available for them.

You likely will need to install drivers for one or more of the devices afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't advise if that XP CD has any of the service packs.

Hopefully, it has SP1 or SP2 as part of it.

It has SP3, all the better.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice