1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A wireless network problem: Ethernet Adaptor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Controllable, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Controllable

Controllable Thread Starter

Hi.

I am having problems trying to set up my wireless broadband service using a D-Link N router. I have had no problem connecting it through the Ethernet cable from the modem to the desktop PC for a while now but when attempting to install the wireless router through the CD I get the error message "No Ethernet Adaptor found! Please check your network connections." My specs are:

Windows XP,
    ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with nVidia GeForce 6150 (C51) + MCP51 chipset and an
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor.

I have tried updating drivers, etc and nothing seems to work! Can any of you tell me where I am going wrong? Do I need a new adaptor? If the answer is obvious then please feel free to ridicule me, I am not exactly very clued up. Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated as I am slowly going mad with this situation.

Attached Files:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no wireless network adapter installed. Is this a desktop computer? Desktop motherboards generally do not have wireless network adapters built-in. You have to buy and install one.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's not at all obvious why you would get "No Ethernet Adaptor found."

What is the brand and model of your modem? What is the model of the new D-Link router?

Copy the user manual off the CD, and then set the CD aside. Reset the router to factory default settings.

Unplug the modem and router and shut down the computer. Connect the modem to the router's WAN port and the computer to a router LAN port.

Plug in modem; then plug in router; then boot computer. Usually at this point you will have internet access and can proceed to configure the wireless. If still having a problem please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. Controllable

Thanks for your replies!

I am using a desktop pc with the above motherboard which I was told at purchase came with the relevant wireless capabilities however nothing is noted by the computer, in Network Connections or elsewhere, when I attempt to implement the wireless. The router and modem both work together fine through the cables, I am using this method as I type, but not when trying anything of any kind wireless, as instructed to do so by the installation CD. The router is not recognised by my PC unless the modem is connected to it.

The modem is a Virgin Media [Trade name] "Ambit" 256; model no. E08C013.00.

The router is a D-Link DIR-615 or "N" router.

Here is the text from the command window:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : red1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cable.virginmedia.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cable.virginmedia.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-9D-1F-39
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : I'm assuming this data is irrelevant!
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 June 2010 22:21:30
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 June 2010 22:21:30

If there is any other data that may help you please let me know. I have tried various options through Network Connections but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you assume that I am asking for irrelevant data you can just ignore my requests and wait for somebody else to offer help. :)

I have no idea what you mean by that. Do you, or do you not, get internet access through the router with the red1 computer connected by ethernet?

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, errors or warnings are anywhere in Device Manager?

6. Controllable

I didn't want to post my IP address in an open forum is all! Call it paranoia or beginner's idiocy but I'm assuming this is a bad idea..?

When I follow the router installation guide I do not have the modem connected to anything, as the cd asks. It first of all asks me to turn on the router. Then it asks me to connect the router to the pc through the ethernet port without mention of the modem being connected to the router. At this point I get the error message about the adaptor, it asks me to check network connections and I can go no further.

If I connect the modem to the router with the router connected to the PC through the Ethernet port then I can access the internet but the router installation attempt ends exactly the same way. I can access the internet this way but the router is not installed, there is no wireless capacity available and it seems only to act as a conduit for the internet via the modem. There is no problem with any of the leads and there are no errors or warnings in any part of device manager.

Attached Files:

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you connected the modem to the router's WAN port then your computer is getting an IP address of 192.168.0.x because we all know that router defaults to that address range, and can look in the manual if we don't know it. :)

Copy the manual from the CD and then put the CD somewhere that you will not be tempted to use it.

Reset the router to factory default settings. Unplug the modem and router and shut down the computer.

Connect the modem to the router's WAN (Internet, Modem) port and the computer to one of the LAN ports.

Plug in modem. Then plug in router. Then boot computer. You should now have internet access and can login to the router to configure the wireless. If not, please show an ipconfig /all as requested earlier.

Your Device Manager display confirmed what DoubleHelix said--you have no wireless adapter in this computer.

Probably all motherboards in the last dozen or more years have "relevant wireless capabilities" in the sense that you can use a wireless adapter with them. :)

8. MorbidSteve

MorbidSteve

To ensure you get this post, you do not have a wireless adapter installed in your computer. To get on a wireless network you must have a wireless card, USB dongle, etc...

Steven

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

MorbidSteve, we do not need an interpreter following us around "clarifying" every statement.

10. Controllable

Thanks for all your help; I am off to buy the card I need and to stop feeling stupid. This forum is brilliant, thanks for taking the time.

Why can't computers just SPEAK to us and tell us what's wrong?

Cheers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice