1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A:\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepwalk, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Thread Starter

Hi, (using XP) whenever I boot my computer,
    this message always comes up

"A:\ Disk Error
    press F1 to continue"

and I am unable to access my A:\ afterwards.
    How can I fix this?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Open the case and check the ribbon cable and power to make sure they are secure. Check the motherboard end as well.

3. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Thread Starter

I've checked, it's all secure
    :(

4. jnibori

jnibori

I'm sure you've ruled this out, but was a floppy left in the drive?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Has this been a problem since you got the computer or just something that happened? If it's always been a problem check to make sure the cable orienatation on the motherboard and drive is correct - pin 1 to pin 1, and the power connector is on right. Also check the bios to make sure the right setting is selected for the drive - 1.44MB or 3 1/2" floppy for A: and nothing for B: If all of that is correct then you need a new drive. However if you don't ever use, select none in the bios for A: and disable the check for a floppy drive option and the error should stop.

6. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Thread Starter

Hi, yes there is no disk still inside the drive.
    This happened after I installed a new hard drive.
    I think I may have accidently pulled the cable out from the disk drive. I'm not too sure how the proper cable orientation should look like
    :confused:

7. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    It should fit only 1 way usally the tappered end goes down (the cable and HDD is set up that way). Good Luck

8. jnibori

jnibori

Have a look in the box. The ribbon cable for the floppy is usually the one that has a twist in it, however that's not always the case anymore.

You should be able to see where it connects, as there will only be a couple of possibilities. Sometimes the cable can be slightly pulled away from the drive, causing a lack of power supply. Perhaps if you make sure everything is seated properly, that will help.

9. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

Unfortunately the Pin 1 rule doesnÂ’t always apply to floppy drives. The true way to tell is when your machine boots the green light on the floppy drive should come on for a second and than go out. If the green light on the floppy drive stays on, this means your floppy Data cable is backwards. TURN POWER OFF and rotate data cable 180 degrees plug in, and turn machine on, watch green light.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice