A:\

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sleepwalk

Hi, (using XP) whenever I boot my computer,
this message always comes up

"A:\ Disk Error
press F1 to continue"

and I am unable to access my A:\ afterwards.
How can I fix this?

Open the case and check the ribbon cable and power to make sure they are secure. Check the motherboard end as well.

I'm sure you've ruled this out, but was a floppy left in the drive?

Triple6

Rob
Has this been a problem since you got the computer or just something that happened? If it's always been a problem check to make sure the cable orienatation on the motherboard and drive is correct - pin 1 to pin 1, and the power connector is on right. Also check the bios to make sure the right setting is selected for the drive - 1.44MB or 3 1/2" floppy for A: and nothing for B: If all of that is correct then you need a new drive. However if you don't ever use, select none in the bios for A: and disable the check for a floppy drive option and the error should stop.

sleepwalk

Hi, yes there is no disk still inside the drive.
This happened after I installed a new hard drive.
I think I may have accidently pulled the cable out from the disk drive. I'm not too sure how the proper cable orientation should look like
:confused:

anlore2001

Andrew
Originally posted by sleepwalk:
I'm not too sure how the proper cable orientation should look like :confused:
It should fit only 1 way usally the tappered end goes down (the cable and HDD is set up that way). Good Luck

Have a look in the box. The ribbon cable for the floppy is usually the one that has a twist in it, however that's not always the case anymore.

You should be able to see where it connects, as there will only be a couple of possibilities. Sometimes the cable can be slightly pulled away from the drive, causing a lack of power supply. Perhaps if you make sure everything is seated properly, that will help.

Unfortunately the Pin 1 rule doesn’t always apply to floppy drives. The true way to tell is when your machine boots the green light on the floppy drive should come on for a second and than go out. If the green light on the floppy drive stays on, this means your floppy Data cable is backwards. TURN POWER OFF and rotate data cable 180 degrees plug in, and turn machine on, watch green light.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts