1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a13mj3 Thanks for the help but Houston we have another problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shanellb, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanellb

shanellb Thread Starter

Okay, I was scared to touch my system at first, so I was waiting on my computer guy. It's going on 6 months and he has still Not come around. I decided that I would follow your instructions and I installed it myself. I got passed the instillation(with the help of you and a Dell Tech tutorial on youtube that I can no longer find on youtube)

So then what's the prob? well, I removed the old hard drive and replaced the new one, the hard drive was set to master but now when I turn my computer on I get "boot failure:system halted"

I don't know if this makes a difference but I had a 60GB and the new hard drive is 120.

Okay, then I said to myself maybe you messed something up when you installed the new hard drive. I then removed the new hard drive and place the old one back in and the old one worked but of ourse I can't use it because it is infected.

Okay, then I removed the old one and placed the new one back in.

I was reading the instructions on the hard drive and it said "for BEST performance use a Ultra ATA cable". Now it says for BEST performance NOT that it was needed.

And one more thing...

After I replace the old hard drive, attach the rails to the hard drive, insert the new hard drive, does it matter what power cord to plug in?

For example, there are two cords one says p3 and the other says p5. Does it matter which one I use? I'm only asking because the guy who installed the hard drive before used the old hard drive as the slave so I had two hard drives in instead of one.

I only want to use the new hard drive.

One more thing. After I plug in the power cord does the grey or the black cord attach to the new hard drive. I thought that the black cord was the master and the grey was the slave but I cannot attach the black IDE cord to the hard drive without twisting the IDE cable into a mess.

Now I feel like I want to vomit!!

PLEASE HELP!

Shanell

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is on the new one? Did you somehow install XP to it?

3. shanellb

shanellb Thread Starter

No I couldn't install anything on it.

As soon as I installed it and tried to boot my computer it automatically takes me to a black screen with the message

boot failure:system halted.

4. shanellb

shanellb Thread Starter

Just a bit more info.

I just went to www.seagate.com/support

Seagate is the company that I ordered the hard drive from.

I was searching and found info on different hard drives but not IDE. The site did give me info on ATA hard drives but I have no idea what they are talking about.

I know that I have a IDE cable cord in my system does this mean that their hard drive will only work if I use a ATA cable cord? If so, Is it easy to install or is there more drama? Maybe this is the problem, maybe the hard drive is not compatable with the cable cords?

I.D.K I guess I'm just trying to put my brain cells to work because I am not going to rest until I figure out the problem.

I am getting more confused. Do I have to get a Ultra ATA cable?

I have a Dell Dimension4400
    Hard Drive 120GB
    Memory 512MB

Thanks for the help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice