A7N8X asus- bad bios?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerri Ann

i have a refurbed a7n8x mobo, and it boots up ok, but runs a 2500+ athlon at only 1100mhz. it should support 400/333/266/200 fsb, but i can only get it up to 200, 233 if i act like im overclocking. is it a bad bios?

setting the FSB at 200 effectively sets the bus speed at 400. Your multiplier settings are wrong! You should have the FSB at 166 and the multiplier at 11. You might try the fsb at 200 though and see if it overclocks a bit..

What's happening is your trying to clock the chip to high and the bios is defaulting to default settings. Which is default multiplier 11 X FSB of 100 = 1100mhz. Remember to set the bios for default settings if you update the bios!

Kerri Ann

ok, i didn't actually run the system at the 233, or 200, i should have realized that though...
how come it doesn't say 400 instead of 200, or 333 instead of 166?

oh and i have 768mb of ddr pc2700
i know i'm not utilizing the dual channel blah blah blah, but i just happened to have the two sticks i have (256+512), so i'm using those for now.

cnimbus

Banned
The clock speed shown in the BIOS' CMOS setup is the true clock speed at which the CPU operates externally.

Up until a few years ago, CPUs clocked off of one edge of a square wave signal. In English, that means that they could send or receive data once per clock cycle. A 100 MHz CPU bus operated at an effective speed of 100MHz.

The AMD Athlon introduced 'double pumping', where the CPU sent or received data twice per clock. A 100 MHz CPU bus speed would then operate at an effective speed of 2 x 100MHz = 200 MHz. The same principle is used by Double Data Rate RAM (DDR RAM) to increase data transfer rates.

Some newer CPUs use what is called 'quad pumping, in which data is sent or received four times per clock cycle. A 100 MHz bus would operate at an effective speed of 400 MHz.

400, 333 and 200 MHz sounds a lot faster than 200, 166 and 100 MHz MHz, so the CPU vendors state the effective clock speed. The internal frequency of the CPU is based on a multiple of the actual clock speed, not the effective clock speed.

Kerri Ann

ok, i get it. so this is all good news to me, who has had such bad luck with my systems lately. thanks everyone!

Remember if you use any bios update utility on a nforce2 board that you'd want to change the bios settings to the default 1100mhz before updating the bios, or you may distroy the bios of the board!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online