1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A7N8X mobo won't start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anev, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anev

anev Thread Starter

I've owned my A7n8x deluxe for about 6 months now, and have had nothing but a great experience with it, but recently i have had some very serious problems. It began with a tendency to go into a sort of bizarre standby after 4-8hours, (despite my having none of the standby settings turned on in Windows) where all fans except those coming directly out of my PS are shut down, the processor is cold, the monitor dim, my graphics card's fan stopped and similarly cold, and no way whatsoever to bring it out of this state. I at first assumed that it was some sort of minor bug in the software, a WinXP thing, a problem that would sort itself out, and something that wasn't really that annoying anyway... I was very wrong.
    Later I found that the computer would go directly into this state when turned on - and only the drives and fans getting power directly from the power supply spun up. I had no way to enter BIOS to make any potentially important setting changes. I restarted a couple of times, and after being left on for 5 minutes or so as i went through the manual for the CMOS battery and jumper, the fans spun up, and though the monitor remained dim i got my hopes up. I tried another monitor, gave up, restarted again and got to the A7N8X splash screen and finally to a message that loudly declared "Error!! CPU have overclock!!" or some similarly eloquent message that i was doing something to the board that i shouldn't be doing. I have never overclocked this board, nor do i intend to, and even when i ensured myself that the board was fine I returned to this message after saving and exiting the BIOS.
    At this point, I was getting pretty desperate. I ran the gauntlet, unplugging and replugging all internal and external components from the board, re-seating the heatsink and checking the processor for damage (there was none), and finally i cleared the CMOS. Magic! It POSTed just fine, and WinXP started up, and i enjoyed an evening of homework and Planetside. And lo, it was good. I left it like that, went to sleep, woke up to find it in that wonderful state of semi-death.
    Annoyed, i spoke with a friend who told me that i had logged off AIM at 3:40 AM - about 6 hours after I had left the machine. Again, i wasn't too worried. What i thought was a one-time crash was dealt with, and I came home that afternoon confident that it would all work just fine.
    Nope.
    Instead i come back to the not-quite turning on thing. Again, i go through the Voodoo, tearing cards out and replacing them, plugging and replugging everything, and getting no relief whatsoever. If i believed that sacrificing a rooster might bring this computer back, i would try it. Anyway, through another fun sequence of intermittent intelligence and shamanism, and finally just leaving it alone for 40 minutes to go to dinner, I got to a splash screen and finally a new message: Warning!! CPU have been changed!!
    I went into the BIOS, arranged everything as it should be, save&exited and, hooray, it started. I was on for a total of perhaps 25 minutes when, in the middle of conversation with the same friend, the computer returned to its state of death. At the time of this writing, my computer is having CMOS battery time-out because it's been a bad boy.
    And i am no closer to understanding exactly what in the hell is going on.

I REALLY appreciate any insight anyone can give... i've already emailed ASUS and was unable to get ahold of Tigerdirect...

Thanks.

System Specs:
    Tigerpro 360watt PS
    A7N8X deluxe
    Athlon XP 2600+ (333mhz FSB)
    GeForce4 ti4600
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy

2. Rox Shox

Rox Shox

RMA the board, if all those fans stopped, but especially your vid card, then you have a PCI/AGP bus issue. Im assuming you have tried clearing cmos, and reseating the ram, video card, checking molex connectors, checking IDE cables, and tested your PSU already. After that - I woudl RMA.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice