1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A7V600 Motherboard Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnDubya, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnDubya

JohnDubya Thread Starter

I just received my new Asus A7V600 motherboard that will upgrade from my old A7A266 motherboard. I have an Athlon XP 1600+ processor and one stick of 256 MB DDR 2100 RAM. I put these components and my video card on the new A7V600 motherboard and plugged in the power supply. The light on the motherboard came on just fine. I hit the power switch on the front and the CD light blinked and the fans inside started spinning. About three seconds after the fans started spinning and the hard drive just starts making noise, the fans lose power and come to a stop. The motherboard light stays lit the whole time, but the rest of the computer just stops. Could this be a voltage issue? Or maybe a compatibility issue? I checked the ASUS and AMD websites, and these two products are supposed to work together. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What powersupply do you have? Watts and make? The powersupply could have just died too - it happens.

Whenever building a PC it is best to start with the basics.
    Outside of the case connect the motherboard, CPU with HSF, 1 stick of RAM and the Video Card - nothing else and try to power-up. From this build up.

Also check any and all jumpers prior to powering-up -> which may be one or several - ie. Clear CMOS (always), FSB, multiplier, voltage select, etc.

3. JohnDubya

JohnDubya Thread Starter

It's an Allied AL-A250ATX 250 watt power supply. I put my other motherboard back in to make sure it still works, and it does. Also, on the new ASUS A7V600 MB, it is jumper-free. There is only one Vcore setting jumper on the MB, and it was set to default. We even changed it, and it did nothing. I just can't figure out why it would be doing this.

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

Yes, i have to agree that your power supply isnt putting out enough juice to run your box. 250 watts doesnt go far these days. AMD recommends a min 350w psu. You will need to purchase a new power supply. In my years of working on computers the two parts you dont skimp on is the power supply and the motherboard. The power supply is the most important piece in your entire system. It supplies power to every component in the system. Ive seen to many cheap power supplies prematurely die and take other hardware components with it when the PSU surges before it dies.

I recommend getting at the very least a 350 Watt power supply. The two companies i most recommend is either antec or enermax.

I hope the info helps out!
    Good luck!
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

5. JohnDubya

JohnDubya Thread Starter

Ok cool. Do you think that having a "not-powerful-enough" power supply would make the fans and periperals start running and then just shut them off? What things would cause that? Could the motherboard be sensing something and turning everything off or is it most likely the power supply shutting down? If it's the power supply, why does the motherboard light stay lit?

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

The motherboard light stays on even though the power supply isnt even running. There's a small amount of current that passes through the UPS that keeps the motherboard led turned on. Unless you pull the plug or turn off the power supply by the switch.

The PSU has power overload protection. It's probably shutting down due to the fact that its requiring more power than it can handle.

Hope that helps....
    rockinmale:cool:

7. JohnDubya

JohnDubya Thread Starter

I put my old MB back in (the A7A266), and it worked. Even when I had the A7V600 in, I unplugged everything except the MB and hard drive, so there wouldn't be much power demand, and it did the exact same thing. The fans started up, and two or three seconds later, it died. I don't know if I want to spend $50 on a new power supply if I don't need to.

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree on the ps; run do not walk from an allied, deer, or foxconn ps. I install Enlight, Enermax, Antec, or Coolmax ps. A 250W ps might work if it was of good quality; allied ps are not of good quality.

Have you checked that the hsf is correctly installed? If the hsf is not installed correctly [sitting square on the die] the mb will shut down due to overheating. Do you have the hsf plugged into the fan1 header on the mb? If there is no fan signal, some mb will shutdown. Check and see if your hsf is resting on the ledge of the cpu socket. If it is, the cpu will overheat.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice