1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

aaarghhh xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gaftop1, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

installed a fx 5200 nvidia vid card in a systemax aol optimized computer with onboard 32 mb video. i think it's a p4 2.?ghz, 256 pc 2100,foxconn mb. when booting it gets to the windows splash with the bar graph. gets through that and goes to where the cursor should show but no monitor. windows continues to load. i know it's at the desk top but no vid.
    tried a non console repair got all the way through the file loads to the reboot. got to the bar graph same thing no video.
    don't really want to do a reformat.
    any ideas??????????????

2. physician

physician

Thats probably an AGP 8 card. Do you know if the mobo supports AGP, is the on board vid chipset turning off? AGP will switch down to AGP 4 or whatever as most of these cards are backwards compatible, but you need to look up your mobo specs to see if you are compatible. The other thing is that the older intel mobos are not too compatible with the nvidia cards and can have problems. IF you get that sucker booted up, you need to check your settings and make sure that some of the ram is not dedicated to the vidchipset. 256 megs of ram is what you need to make XP run good....doc

3. natcom

natcom

hey doc nice to see you around you really are a fast learner :)

4. physician

physician

howdy to you too

most of these problems I have experienced on my own - like that corrupt registry that you helped me with...doc

5. natcom

natcom

can you get to safe mode at all ?

6. natcom

natcom

yes experienced is all we need :)

7. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

not anymore it's mid way through the non console repair and won't let me in. i can get in the bios. can't find a mb number all i know is it's a foxconn board. 2.4 celeron.
    pretty much screwed right now. some of the ram 32megs does got to the onboard. for what they do with it it runs ok. they bought xp pro and did a clean install so they could get rid of all the aol crap. even tho they are still paying for it. (i don't know).
    anyway they wanted a better card to play medal of honor. disabled onboard and rebooted but it enabled onboard again. it did see the fx 5200 card in the initial boot sequence but after the bar graph win splash screen no video.
    i took the card out but still no vid after splash screen.

8. natcom

natcom

try resetting the bios to factory default

9. natcom

natcom

if you can get to safe mode you will need to reinstall your chipset drivers

10. natcom

natcom

or do a system restore from safe mode

11. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

set bios to default. rebooted gets to setup being restarted hdd lights are working a lot but restart setup screen doesn't leave.
    after 5 minutes of hdd working lights. no activity lights. still restarting setup screen .
    got into safe mode but it just lists all the muti's and hangs.
    is there a way to abort the repair process

12. burn

burn

my friend had this issue....

he took the card out

uninstalled the drivers for the onboard intalled the drivers for the geforce
    shutdown reinstalled the card and booted fine....

what tech support told him was

the bios was aware of a card in the agp slot but windows was still trying to access the onboard because of some screwy driver or somthing

this has been awhile and the issue is kinda hazy

but thats what i remember... hope it helps

13. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

did all that to start with. then it got where i couldn't get into windows to uninstall drivers.
    gave up, reformatted. backups from now on.
    hate computers.
    thanx everybody

14. burn

burn

woops mised that part.... my post was just random and stupid :p

hehe sorry

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice