Aaxa Tech L1v2 Laser Pico Projector Review | MS Office Projector

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Neroit04

I posted in a previous thread about the Aaxa Tech L1v2 being used as a MS Office Projector, and it really caught my attention! I ended up getting one and thought I would share with everyone a full review!

I am what some call a tech connoisseur. I always like to get my hands on the newest tech products, ranging from cell phones to projectors. Today’s product to go under the microscope is Aaxa Tech’s L1v2. The L1v2 is the second generation of the laser pico projector line. The most prominent features of the L1v2 are the improved performance, better heat dissipation, a new modern look, and most importantly a much much better price point, $399!

My expectations for this product were high as it is a second generation product. Taking it out of the box, I was immediately amazed the size and weight of the L1v2. The dimensions are 4.2”x2.1”x1.2” and weighs only 170 grams with the battery! To put this in perspective, it’s almost the equivalent of the HTC 8525, which isn’t bad at all. The box includes: the unit itself, AC adapter, A/V cable, VGA cable, and tripod clip (no tripod unfortunately). The Iphone/Ipod/Ipad adapter is sold separately unfortunately. The L1v2 is made from what seems to be durable plastic, meaning it could easily go in to your briefcase without much concern. The black matte finish gives it a smooth exterior with little chance of finger prints or smudges. The buttons are a decent size and aren’t too difficult to press like other small device. They buttons are also backlit making it easy to use at night or in low light settings. The bottom of the L1v2 has 4 tiny rubber stoppers to ensure it won’t slide away on any surface. I thought that was a nice touch. There are also built in speakers as well as a 3.5mm jack if you would rather use headphones or external speakers.

The supported files include the usual: WAV, AAC, MP3, ASF, WMV, MPG, AVI, GIF, PNG, BMP, JPEG, as well as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and PDF files. All of these can be viewed/played directly off a flash drive, without the need of a laptop. There is also 160 MB of internal storage that could be used to save presentations and other documents. There is, unfortunately no MicroSD or SD card support on this model either. After I gave it a full charge, I powered it up. The fan is actually very quiet, but every so often it gets loud for a few seconds and then back to quiet. I can only gamble that it’s part of the improved heat dissipation. The menu system is laid out very well and rather easy to use.

The screen resolution is stated to be 800x600, which in itself is rather impressive for pico projectors. It fares a little above to equal when compared to other pico projectors. One of the problems with the first generation L1 was that the laser created a shimmering effect, which added a lot of noise to the projections. At times there would be a green hue, but it would go away. In the L1v2, it was substantially decreased because I didn’t notice much. There was also no pixilation problem found in other laser projector. The best image size I found was between 20” and 30” in lower light settings. I was able to produce a 50” image with no light, but it wasn’t as sharp as I’d hope. The built in speakers were plenty loud for the size. The infinite focus was very useful when I wanted to project onto different surfaces. Another aspect of laser technology is that you can project on any surface and it will still remain in focus. I played around with that and found some really interesting projections. After an hour of use I noticed it did start to get a little warm but nothing alarming. The battery is rated at 90 min, and I was able to get almost the full 90 min.

One last thing I wanted to mention was the safety. Most people out there are concerned about the overall safety of laser projectors. I admit I was bit hesitant about the product due to safety, but a recent paper debunks the laser projector myth. In the paper by Dr. Edward Buckly, he states that the new type of LCOS (liquid-crystal-on-silicon) based projectors fall into two classes of eye-safety, where class-1 will limit projectors to 20 lumens and class-2 will have the ability to reach several hundred lumens. The way these laser projectors are built, optimizes the laser and the heat dissipated from it making it much safer to watch. Essentially it won’t be burning a hole in your wall or cutting your butter anytime soon!

Overall I am happy with the L1v2 because it offers a great amount of features for an even lower price point that would entice the world traveler or the entertainment fanatic.

PROS:
Well built unit, with tough exterior
Built in music, video, and picture player
Supports Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and PDF
Super portable & travel friendly
Good batter life
Great price point

CONS:
The occasional fan noise
Image isn’t as sharp after 50”
Green hue at times
iPhone-iPod cable additional cost
Not as effective with lights on

Un-Boxing the L1v2

L1v2

Vivid Projection on Side of House

On the Patio Ceiling, in focus even over the beam

Projected onto Glass

Big Projection on Patio Ceiling, still in focus.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts