1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ABBYY FineReader won't recognizr Scanner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rob1960, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

I just purchased an Epson Perfection 4490 Scanner, and ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint Plus was included in the software package. I have registerd both the Scanner and the ABBYY FineReader program.

My scanner works great when accessed thru any of my photo programs, or thru the EP 4490 software. But when I try to access it thru the ABBYY program, I get the following error message:

"Can't find Twain Source.
    Epson Perfection 4490."

Obviously my hardware is connected right and working right. It is Only ABBYY that cannot recognize the scanner.
    What should I do? Thanks, Robert

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

What version of Windows????

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Can you scan to an Image ... Then open the Image in ABBYY ??

Your ABBYY options set correctly ???

Attached Files:

4. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

I hand't realized it until just now, but I can not make the EP4490 scan to a Word document. It wants to scan to an image format only... jpeg, tiff, etc. And ABBYY will only open a word document, apparently, with the current settings. Can you suggest how I can get into the more advanced settings for both ABBYY and the scanner? I can only find superficial settings for each. Thanks, Robt

5. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

My version of windows is XP

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

YES ... Scan to an Image (bmp 300dpi or better) ...
    Then have ABBYY "Read" the bmp Image and convert to Word or Excel.

Not sure which ABBYY you have ... I have the pro version.
    Looks like ABBYY should be able to get its own "Image" from the scanner ....
    But if you can scan to a bmp image ... You can work around a Twain problem.
    Then ... Just import the bmp Image to ABBYY... It doesn't need to come from the scanner.

I'm guessing that you may have a limited version of ABBYY that came with the scanner.
    You could always Email me a high resolution bmp Image ... or maybe gif.

For these purposes ... I try to avoid jpeg ... jpeg compression can add artifacts around sharp edges such as text .. appearing as a noisy Halo that can confuse the ABBYY "reading"

YES .. I saw XP in your profile.
    Does this help ???

7. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

Thanks for your ideas and input. I have ABBYY FineReader version 6.0 Sprint Plus. And you're right, that is the version of the CD supplied with the EP4490. Roughly, what do the upgraded versions cost? Their help section touts the upgrades, but avoids saying what they cost. A somewhat devious, but probably successful marketing ploy, in my view.

I was just now able to make the BMP format of my scaned copy successfully pass through the reading process, and then I inserted it to Word. But my ABBYY would not open the GIF file. Error said it was a bad format. I'm attaching the scanned document in both GIF and BMP. Thanks again for your help. Robt

Attached Files:

8. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

Here's the GIF version. It didn't seem to go threw on the previous post.

Attached Files:

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The reason I never let ABBYY read a scan directly ...
    Is that I usually send the scanned Image to Photoshop and clean it up a bit ..
    before letting ABBYY try to read it.

The scan could've been better but How's this .... some proof reading required.
    I removed the resulting underlines in WORD ... they didn't read right.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

12. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hello......just my 2 cents..........

I also have ABBYFineReader Sprint that came with my Epson 3490 scanner.
    I have Twain set to Professional Mode , Document type...Reflective, Document Source....document table, auto exposure type....document.

In ABBYYFine Sprint under the 'File' menu>>>>'Select Scanner'......I have 'Epson Perfection 3490/3590'

So far, it's worked like a champ.
    Below is a screen shot of a word doc showing text and pictures with no clean up and done in grey scale at 200 resolution.
    That is a direct scan from an engine manual, ported to Word.
    I see only one misspelled word in English, several of the Spanish titles are truncated.

I'm using win XP MCE.

I have had problems in the past with Twain in win 98se and had to reinstall Twain 4 or 5 times over the years.

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      208.9 KB
      Views:
  13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Interesting and thanks for dropping 2 cents in .... What can you do with this Image ???
    this is my cleaned up version that I "Read"

14. Rob1960

Rob1960 Thread Starter

I just downloaded and installed the trial version of Scan to Word. I appreciate your help, and it looks like it will be a good program. But I still can't make it activate the scanner. And yet, the program clearly knows I have an EP 4490. The error is: "Can't find Twain source. Epson Perfection 4490."

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

You might have to re install Twain or even ABBYfine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice