1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ABCD Dell Dim. Lights Diagnostic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeflag, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

On Dimension desktop with ABCD diagnostic lights (Dim 4700), the lights show G/Y/Y/G green/yellow/yellow/green. The Dell Service Manual and the Owner's Manual neither show this G/Y/Y/G series among the lights shown in the manuals.
    One problem is that the POST procedure doesn't complete and it is extremely difficult getting into the F12 Boot Menu for troubleshooting or making changes there. Pressing F2 indicates "Entering Setup" but it doesn't enter Setup, probably because it doesn't finish the POST. Regarding the part on the monitor showing the POST procedure progress, it gets almost to the end and stops there. Whatever that last POST step is, that is probably where the main problem is which we cannot find. Does anyone know the final POST steps and/or what the yellow lights for the B and C indicate.

2. dai

dai

what bios beeps do you hear when you try boot up

3. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. There are no beeps on boot.

4. dai

dai

if you have any usb plugged in unplug and see if it posts

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

Nothing plugged in. Nothing in cd, dvd, or FDD. RE: the capacitors, I'll check them today.

7. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

RE: the power supply, it seems to be okay.

8. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

Does anyone know what the final step is in the POST?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to ask a Dell engineer. But how do you know that it's hanging on the last step of POST anyway? The POST diagnostics are pretty basic, the problem could be hardware that passed the basic POST check but still be faulty; RAM is a good example of that as many times a machine will POST with bad RAM but then hang or reboot during normal operating.

You can try this guide, many of the steps apply to any computer that ends up experiencing boot problems: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/580000-troubleshooting-guide-problem-builds.html

10. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

That is one of the best troubleshooting guides I've seen, and I have been troubleshooting computers for years. I used to have a POST Troubleshooting board but it is not useable in the newer computers. It had a "light code" with an excellent manual explaining what each code related to. It is somewhere in my storage!

I'm unable to work on this computer this week, but will get into it again next week. In the meantime I'll look for some other RAM in my "RAM pile" to try. I think the fact that it doesn't complete the POST is a significant possible reason for it not entering the Setup (F2 or F12). Is there some other Dell set of keys at startup that allows some diagnostics, etc.? Before I was able to get a response from the F12 push at startup but not anymore. It starts up too darn fast! I have wiped the CMOS by shorting the battery with the shorting pins but that didn't help. I guess I've been away from my troubleshooting days too long!!

11. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

12. dai

dai

yes it is the best site around

but if your not receiving any post codes only the lights it does not help much or i would have referred you to it

13. joeflag

joeflag Thread Starter

Thanks for your continuing help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice