1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ability to change username

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Whinyguy, Jan 6, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Whinyguy

Whinyguy Thread Starter

While we are allowed to change our passwords, avitars, etc. there is no allowance for changing the initial username. When you register on the board for the first time, and filling in the place with your name, it wasn't really clear that the name being filled in will be specifically used as your board ID. When I filled in my name I was thinking this was an internal question for identification purpose and use by TSG, not the displayed username. Sometimes for internet security purposes, people may want to make a change without losing their current board status. Of course it may be a little confusing to others if a different name appears, but the person who has changed it can let others know about the change. Any thoughts?

2. deuce

deuce

I think Mike keeps that ability a mulderator priviledge to aviod people changing often. (i.e. ShootingStar then IUPChick :D :D sorry Mike had to mention it... you know how girls are :rolleyes: ) I think maybe one thing we can change (if possible) is make it more clear what the name is used for. However, if you want to change your name, if you ask Mike or a moderator they will usually do it for you.

Dr. Alan... congradulations, I see you have found home. :) I see you have the avatar up already... looks great. :D

3. brianF

brianF

Techguy is the only one who could change a user name, mod's don't have the ability.

As far as being able to change user names, I have been on boards where that was allowed, it really makes a mess of everything.

4. Whinyguy

Whinyguy Thread Starter

Then the registration process just needs to be clearer.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

Hey Alan, why don't you post the name you want here, or pm Tech Guy, I bet he'll fix ya up :) ...Rhett

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    As stated, we don't allow users to change usernames due to the chaos that it can lead to. But, feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd like it changed.

7. deuce

deuce

You know you aren't the first person I've seen do that... put your full name not knowing it was for your user name... so don't worry, it isn't just you. Hey you should change it to something like, "the nutty professor" or something like that.

8. rhettman5

rhettman5

I'd have made the same error, but I rarely use my real name on the web, I even usualy use a diferant e-mail addres when I am required to for a d/l. my dog is named Rhett, he was 5 when I 1st got on the net, thus....user name. I bet most of us have a good user name story ,but, thats another thread !!!... Rhett

9. deuce

deuce

Wow I would have never guessed. I have a somewhat interesting story as well... but people actually call me deuce off the computer. Everywhere I go on the net I use the same user name and 8 digit password... makes things very convient. I like deuce better but deuce_mn is always available.

10. deuce

deuce

Yeah Mike I can imagine the chaos it would lead to... this time mixup is confusing enough! ;) :D

Funny... I posted that last post hours ago and now it says I posted it 2 minutes ago... :rolleyes:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice