1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Abit AT7 Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuy59187, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

I have a computer at college, and it is what I use for watching dvd's, and for the past month, the sound starts to crackwhen watching a dvd. We have our system hooked up to a reciever, into a sound system via the boards optical out, and it has a bad cracking noise, and then it also breaks and pops a few times every second. Just the sound, the picture is fine.

I have been using powerdvd XP, and tried using NVDVD. Neither gave me any better results.

I have reinstalled drivers, gotten the new ones, they haven't helped at all.

I also have had a pair of headphones hooked up to the regular jacks, and the breaks are still there. However, if I listen to music, or anything else, there are no breaks, no pops, just normal sound.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stu

System Specs
    Athlon XP 2000
    Abit AT7 MB
    Leadtek Geforce 3 ti200 128mb
    2 maxtor 40 GB on Raid
    LiteOn 16x DVD player
    Plextor 40/12/40A

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

hehehehe......
    Your having sound problems....
    You forgot the 1 most important piece.......
    The sound card....
    Are you running the onboard sound card or a pci sound card?
    Need more info......Thanks!:D

3. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

the sound card is on the Abit AT7 5.1 +optical out.

Anyhow, a thought came to me, could it be the drive?

Just a thought.

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

Nope....It's not your drive.
    Onboard sound although works it tends to be flaky. When playing DVD's it's intensive on graphics, cpu, and sound that at times it cant keep up. So it spits and stutters. One recommendation would be to buy a cheap sound blaster live sound card. That should solve your sound problem.

Any others recommendations out there?:D

5. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

tried a friend's svcd on both drives...
    the dvd drive had problems, but the plextor ran fine.

I looked through the settings, and saw that the dvd drive wasn't on DMA, so, I changed that, I can't restart yet, but I am wondering if that would do it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice