1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

abit BH7 m/b help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ahhoe, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

Does the motherboard from Abit model named BH7 support PC2100(266mhz) ddr ram? It says that 333mhz is supported but theres no info that says 266mhz ram is supported. I have 3 pieces of 266mhz ram. 512mb, 256mb and 128mb. Is it backward compatible? I have bought the motherboard. Checked all the connections ok. Try with different ram. Reseated the processor. Replad another harddisk with an OS inside, reseating the graphic cards. But my system just won't boot.

When powered on, i can see the ram check and all those thingy. Then it goes to be raid card screen. Both my extra 2 hardisk are detected. And now the problem comes, it shows a few options....eg, boot into safe mode, boot with networking support, boot from last known setting.......
    BUT no matter which setting i choose, it will just restart by itself and goes back to the bios booting screen again. There's no way of booting into my winxp pro screen.

I am in urgent need of help. Now my work is stuck. Any help will be appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you running a processor that runs at 133 fsb? If so then it should work. If you are using a processor that runs a 166 fsb, then you are overclocking the ram. Some boards allow you to run the ram at different speed than the cpu. Post back with the model of processor ie 2400+ 2600+ Barton, etc.

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Did you make any BIOS adjustments to this system after you set it up?
    It sounds like it is still all in a "default" state and doesn't know it should be booting to the C: drive.
    Go into the BIOS screens and look at the 'Boot order list'...,your OS should be on drive C: (as the main system drive) and that item should be in the boot list.You may have to adjust that list...,it probably gives you a few different choices for the list order.As long as the OS is on C: and C: shows in that list,it should boot to C: at some point.

I prefer my order to be: A,CD-ROM,C
    It will look for a bootable floppy,then a bootable CD,then to the boot sector of the C: drive.

You are very very close to having it work...,just a bit of tweaking to go...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    More info is needed for your other problem. 2000/XP don't like to be moved to different hardware, you'll likely need to boot off the XP CD a do a repair, or better yet a full format and reinstall to completely remove all the old drivers/settings/files and start over. This will give you the best result in the end.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did not see that he installed a hd with xp already installed. Yes win2k / xp generally will not boot if moved to a computer with a different chipset / mb. Let’s start with the basics; you need to post detailed specs on the system ie processor type and speed, installed ram type and speed, video card, etc.
    After that we can try and get you going.

6. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I am not sure about the FSB thing. My processor is the P4 1.6Aghz model.
    I got this abit BH7 becos i burn my previous Asus motherboard. Hope this helps.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The short answer to your question is yes the mb supports pc2100 [266] ram. Your ram should work with that processor. If your computer is not booting go back to basics; check all connectors in your computer. Boot with just the video card, ram, one hd and one cd drive installed. Now install xp and see if it works for you.

8. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I have 2 harddisk with winxp pro already installed when i am using my previous Asus board. 1 of the HD is keep as a spare.

My new abit BH7 motherboard specs: http://www.abit.com.tw/page/sa/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=BH7&fMTYPE=Socket 478

I have a P4 1.6Aghz processor and 3 ddr ram. 512mb, 256MB and 128MB. All my 3 rams are PC2100(266mhz). All are all working fine till my old Asus board give me problems. So i bought the above Abit BH7 board as replacement. Besides the main harddisk running the OS, i have another 3 extra harddisk connecting to a raid PCI card. All containing just my mp3s. I am using the Geforce Ti200 graphic card.

Is it becos my ram is incompatible with the motherboard? Or its that i need to format and install winxp pro all over again?

9. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I have checked the boot list. Is alright. I have even shorted the cmos pin as told by the manual. Still no luck. I am also tried the fail-safe bios setting and the default bios setting. No luck too.

10. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

ok. I will go format my harddisk and install everything back and see if it works.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot move xp from one computer [or motherboard] to another without quite a bit of work. If you must keep your current install, boot with the xp cd and do a repair install. This will load basic ide drivers for you and allow you to boot up. Note you must reapply service packs, hot fixes, etc.

It would be better if you did a clean install of xp along with your apps.

12. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

I will follow the steps you guys have told me. We keep you guys posted on the outcome.

13. ahhoe

ahhoe Thread Starter

hi guys,

i am back!! and a happy user again. I pop in the new harddisk. Boot up from the xp CD. Install everything from square one. everything is working fine now.

I wanna thank those who have contribute your solutions in my post. Now, this reply is posted from my newly installed OS.

:p (y) (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice