1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Abit ip35 pro - No POST - error code 9.0 (no display)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fishpan, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fishpan

Fishpan Thread Starter

Hi all at TSG,

I recently bought an Abit ip35 pro motherboard from a reputable ebay seller who had verified it working before sending. With my components (see below), the motherboard does not post and instead gets stuck on error code 9.0. Everything else: drives etc power up fine. I have tried an out-of-case setup to no avail and have switched almost all components with others. I still get the error code 9.0 on my led display. There is no output to the monitor whatsoever. Here are the components I used during my simple boot procedure:

PSU: Thermaltake TR2-470W (and tried with Winpower ATX-450)
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) CAS 4 1gb stick (out of a possible 4x1gb sticks available) (and tried with ADATA 2gb DDR2-667 stick)
    GFX: Geforce 7200GS (and tried with my 8800GT 512mb)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 with stock intel fan (tried with Q6600 also)

Thanks for your time and help! I have tried clearing CMOS countless times, holding out the insert key when booting, pressing delete after powering on.) Additional info: there is a loud siren sound (up-down-up-down) that comes from a speaker that I attached to the motherboard's header.

Cheers,

Fishpan

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

The high/low sound indicates an overheat condition. With socket 775 processors a common problem is not having the cooler properly installed and an airgap has formed between the cooler heatsink and the processor heatspreader.

If you have the board out of the chassis, when you install the processor cooler, turn the board over and make sure all the secuting "prongs" on the push pins have penetrated the board to the same depth.

Also, the ThermalTake power supply may be sufficient for a C2D E6600 with a 7200GS card, but it is not going to be sufficient with a Q6600 and an 8800 series card.

If you got any warranty with the board I would return it. Abit is now out of business and support will be limited.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155869/motherboard_manufacturer_abit_dead_sortof.html

3. Fishpan

Fishpan Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your help,

I tried your suggestion and reseated both the cpu and 3 heatsinks of mine (stock intel, ac freezer 7 pro, xigmatek hdt-s1283) - no luck. I used ac mx-2 thermal paste thoroughly as well. The thermaltake psu is currently being used to power a q6600 with 8800gt in a different board (MSI G33M) and even the e6600/7200gs combination does not post :/ Unfortunately I do not have any warranty left. Is replacing the bios chip a sensible option as the 9.0 error code readout seems to be linked to a faulty bios chip.

Thanks again,

Fishpan

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

In the U.S. a relaceable BIOS chip is about $30. I don't believe I would spend $30 on a board that is soon to be unsupported. I would put the money towards a new board.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Somewhere in the back of my mind (which goes blank from time to time) I seem to recall that at one time Abit had some boards with capacitor problems. Take a bright light and carefully examine all the capacitors on the board and see if any have "domed" tops often described as "swollen" or "bulging". The capacitors should be perfectly flat on top.

If any have "domed" tops or are leaking fluid they are defective. If you have bad caps, unless you can replace the caps yourself it is generally not worthwhile having it done professionally unless you specifically need the board.
    I would guess an average price to recap a board is somewhere around $80 or so (U.S.) with premium caps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/904800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice