Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Able to access internet but browsers not working

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have 2 PCs at home, 1 desktop, 1 laptop both running XP SP2, and both hardwired to a DSL router. Last night, all was well, both machines working ok. This morning both machine have the same problem; IE and FF are unable to connect to the internet. Same goes for my smartphone; it can connect to the WiFi network but is unable to browse internet. Funny thing is, I have a stand alone IPphone connected to the same router and it works fine. Both PCs can run Torrent client, I see traffic on "peerblock" but google or hotmail just won't show up either with FF or IE

I've covered all the basics:
-yeeeeessss i've checked that all my cables are connected properly and that the modem is turned on :D
-yeeeeessss I've checked that the pretty lights on the router confirm the presence of "DSL" and "Internet"
-I've rebooted and reset the modem/router
-I've turned off all firewalls (router and PCs), proxies and anti-virus then rebooted.
-I ran antimalwarebytes on both machines with, cleaned and rebooted.
-I stopped my bittorrent clients
-Did a system restore to a couple of weeks ago.

no result

Both machines show "connected to local network" with packets moving about, both machines can "see" each other's shared folders on local network, and both can access 192.168.1.1 without any problem...

But the main reason I strongly doubt it's linked to my PCs it that both IE and FF actually DO work when I connect to the mobile network through my 3G aircard.

any clues as to how a modem/router could messup internet browsing while leaving VoIP and bittorrent unaffected?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.