Able to receive email, but not send in WLM & Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jdemaria1104

Here at the doctor's office I work at, all of a sudden last Thursday, a prompt came up asking us to put our login credentials for our email upon sending an email, which is NEVER does. The user name and password was all saved, so we just clicked OK. Our email addresses are all different and all end with @ourofficename.com, which is using a Verizon.net server.

Now, on multiple computers, everybody can still RECEIVE email, but nobody can SEND email. This is through Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express on both Windows XP and Windows 7. The exact error reads as follows:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.verizon.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): No

I have attempted to change the outgoing server port to 465, 995, 993, to no avail. I have also updated the server from outgoing.Verizon.net to smtp.Verizon.net. It does not help.

To convolute matters more, we are not entirely sure of our password... :-D

If anybody could shine some light on this issue, the doctor's and I would be very appreciative. Thank you so much.

etaf

Wayne
you need to make sure you are using the correct password
I had this issue just this week, with WLM where the service used was port25 - that service has now been terminated (a lot of companies are doign this to reduce spam) and so now need to use SSL on Port 465
The SMTP service has a separate Password that could be setup - so the user had to loginto the email domain service and change the password
then every thing worked

so whoever hosts your email for the domain name @ourofficename.com
you need to change the password

the settings are here
https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/email/settings

jdemaria1104

you need to make sure you are using the correct password
I had this issue just this week, with WLM where the service used was port25 - that service has now been terminated (a lot of companies are doign this to reduce spam) and so now need to use SSL on Port 465
The SMTP service has a separate Password that could be setup - so the user had to loginto the email domain service and change the password
then every thing worked

so whoever hosts your email for the domain name @ourofficename.com
you need to change the password

the settings are here
https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/email/settings

Wayne - This is wonderful. I will attempt and update you with a status. Thank you.

jdemaria1104

Wayne - I am sorry for such a novice question, but for as long as I've been employed here, I have only ever used our email via WLM or Outlook. We are a small doctor's office and we have our own website, but there is no spot for me to access our email there. The company that designed the website for us doesn't provide email servers or anything. Actually, this is a new website we have; our email addresses existed before our current website was created.

How do I find out/access our domain name host? I was assuming it was something from Verizon because Verizon is our ISP and is who are servers are through.

etaf

Wayne
whats the last part of your email address after the @
often you would have a hosting service for the Website and the Email from the same company OR - whoever you purchased the domain from and then within their control panel - you can setup MX records to different email hosts
BUT there are quite a few different ways of managing all this
The fact that
but nobody can SEND email.
mean something has changed
this could be , as i found last week , the SMTP free service using port25 is now blocked and so the SMTP SSL service has to be setup
I know namesco are one such company - you either use your broadband suppliers port25 or you pay to have an authenticated SMTP service
Various UK ISP are blocking off port25 now

When the website went live - did the email also go down ?
when did this change occur and the email stop working - see if you can identify a change

I'm surprised the email service does not offer a webmail service

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Since the error message states "Server: 'smtp.verizon.net'" then I would say the Verizon id your email provider.
You need to contact them to see if they can help you.

jdemaria1104

often you would have a hosting service for the Website and the Email from the same company OR - whoever you purchased the domain from and then within their control panel - you can setup MX records to different email hosts
BUT there are quite a few different ways of managing all this
The fact that
mean something has changed
this could be , as i found last week , the SMTP free service using port25 is now blocked and so the SMTP SSL service has to be setup
I know namesco are one such company - you either use your broadband suppliers port25 or you pay to have an authenticated SMTP service
Various UK ISP are blocking off port25 now

When the website went live - did the email also go down ?
when did this change occur and the email stop working - see if you can identify a change

I'm surprised the email service does not offer a webmail service
It is strange that the company doesn't host email, I agree. But we have had the email addresses at the office for over ten years, ever since our internet was established with Verizon. Our website was launched in the past two years, so no real correlation there. When the website was launched, it had zero bearing on our email service. I actually phoned Verizon on Friday and got a new password from them, so I can log on to Verizon.com and view our account details, see our balances, etc., but when I put that new password in for the outbound server, it does not work.

I am an amateur at this kind of stuff, but usually I can figure out what's going on. The IT guy who set up our email and internet, etc. has unfortunately passed away, so I don't have anybody else to ask these silly questions to.

etaf

Wayne
so I can log on to Verizon.com
do they have a control panel section
where you can manage the domain and email
often you have an email section
this lists all the email accounts - usernames ([email protected])
OR is this just for your one account to log into

if you look at the setup of one of the PC that used to work and nolonger does
whats the SMTP settings
what do you have setup for
Server name
Port number
Authentication SSL etc etc

Do these PC also include laptops and do they normally work away from the office
ie does WLM work at home on the home broadband - in the past
and if so , do they work now at home - in case its a setting on the network thats blocking the ports

Do you have any phones or tablets connected to the email using an APP
if so , do they work when connected to the cellular network or home wifi ?

jdemaria1104

do they have a control panel section
where you can manage the domain and email
often you have an email section
this lists all the email accounts - usernames ([email protected])
OR is this just for your one account to log into

if you look at the setup of one of the PC that used to work and nolonger does
whats the SMTP settings
what do you have setup for
Server name
Port number
Authentication SSL etc etc

Do these PC also include laptops and do they normally work away from the office
ie does WLM work at home on the home broadband - in the past
and if so , do they work now at home - in case its a setting on the network thats blocking the ports

Do you have any phones or tablets connected to the email using an APP
if so , do they work when connected to the cellular network or home wifi ?
The original outgoing SMTP server was outgoing.verizon.net, which I have changed to smtp.Verizon.net. The old port was 25, the new port is 465. With regards to authentication SSL, I'm not entirely sure what that is (SSL). I do have the box "My server requires authentication" checked. I have my Verizon account username and the password I just reset last week entered in that location.

No laptops, phones, or tablets to worry about, all desktop computers connected to our server via an Ethernet cord.

jdemaria1104

The original outgoing SMTP server was outgoing.verizon.net, which I have changed to smtp.Verizon.net. The old port was 25, the new port is 465. With regards to authentication SSL, I'm not entirely sure what that is (SSL). I do have the box "My server requires authentication" checked. I have my Verizon account username and the password I just reset last week entered in that location.

No laptops, phones, or tablets to worry about, all desktop computers connected to our server via an Ethernet cord.
Also, with regards to Verizon, it just logs me into my Verizon account. There is an email section, but it is for a Verizon.net email account, none of the emails for the office.

jdemaria1104

Interesting development... I found under the "Advanced tab" a spot to check next to "This server requires a secured connection (SSL)" which I checked. Immediately when I check this tab, it reverts the port from 465 to 25 and grays it out, making me unable to change it!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have my Verizon account username and the password I just reset last week entered in that location.
This should be your email address and email password.

It just may help if you were to post some screen shots of your settings?

etaf

Wayne
The original outgoing SMTP server was outgoing.verizon.net, which I have changed to smtp.Verizon.net. The old port was 25, the new port is 465.
Yes this is the sort of problem that is occurring now as ISP block off port 25

And if you read this article - thats exactly what Verizon has done - BUT its dated 2009! BUT I have found forums where in 2013 the port 25 was still working and so this change maybe phased in over a longer period for whatever reason.

https://www.verizon.com/support/res...d/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/124274.htm
Verizon has turned off the ability to send email using port 25 for all users other than those using a @verizon.net email address.
If you want immediate step-by-step instructions, visit change my port settings to 465 now.
https://www.verizon.com/support/res...d/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/124333.htm
And as this rticle explains in After April 28th 2015
https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/announcements/email-announcements

So clearly they are not consistence or implementing correctly !!!

How to setup various email clients
https://www.verizon.com/Support/Res...cements01.htm?CMP=EMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_ZZ_N_X00585

They also mention that some router firewalls may block access
Note: If you are an HSI (DSL) customer with a Westell or Actiontec modem (except Actiontec GT784WG) and using its firewall, you may need to turn your firewall
as requested earlier
"This server requires a secured connection (SSL)" which I checked. Immediately when I check this tab, it reverts the port from 465 to 25 and grays it out, making me unable to change it!
What Email client is this on and what version
Outlook 2007,10,13,16 ?
WLM 11, 12 ?
Outlook express ?

If you call the verizon customer support - what do they suggest ?
I'm finding quite a few entries in other forums although old, with the same issue and unable to send emails - suddenly a few days later it works - after a lot of complaints to Verizon - so they must have made a change to their servers

jdemaria1104

So, our office finally hired a new IT guy who was able to address this issue for me (us!), and I wanted to share the solution, which is kind of cheating, but it works.

All he did was turn the outgoing mail server into the exact same as the incoming mail server. Since we were unsure of the exact login credentials for the server, he selected the option "use the same log in credentials as incoming mail server". He then turned SSL on on both the incoming and outgoing servers, and changed the outgoing port to 465. Voila, problem solved.

So I guess something was wrong with the outgoing Verizon server. Verizon has been having a lot of issues lately, and yesterday they had a HUGE outage in Southern California. I hope they get back on track quickly..

I'd like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread immensely; I really appreciate all of your time and help, and I hope the resolution I provided can help you in the future. Cheers!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online