1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Able to surf the net but unable to connect to games/software

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blubimafishz, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blubimafishz

blubimafishz Thread Starter

Windows 10, connected to modem through ethernet cable.

So this problem came up randomly when i turned on my computer a couple days ago, was working well the last time i used it (few days before, am in the army).

I am able to use the internet (chrome) to do pretty much anything like youtube, netflix, facebook, twitter etc. but when it comes to things like steam i cant update games nor establish a connection to any game, they all say 0/0 bytes when updating and i only see a green flat bar , games that have their own launcher like BDO/runescape returns errors that mention some form of no connection to servers, while EFT is stuck at unpacking. Blizzard somehow could update WoW.

Scouring google ive tried every solution but to no avail. Ive tried disabling norton's firewalls (yes i know norton always has issues im looking to switch up), ive turned off the windows proxy thing, reset internet options, uninstalled and reinstalled my network adapter, ran malwarebytes/CCleaner/norton's own full scan, scanned and updated drivers using Driver booster, turned off my modem for 30 seconds and turned it back on, even cleaned out my CPU for dust.

Not sure what any of these mean but looking at the firewall logs in norton there are multiple reports of "
    "Protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter \"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V\" (IP address: ......). " with two different IP addresses
    Also, " IP address has disappeared from adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V (IP address: .....)." with the same two IP addresses.

Much help required desperately, on the verge of just factory resetting PC since nothing is working.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What happens if you were to use a different browser?

System spec's would be helpful?

One thing I would do if it was my machine, is to get rid of Norton's.

3. blubimafishz

blubimafishz Thread Starter

internet explorer works.
    trying all the game launchers i have to see if updating works, league's launcher itself can actually update the game but images on the launcher like ads news pages etc will not load
    Specs are :
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8111 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (21 GB Free); D: 931 GB (191 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASRock, B85M Pro4
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
    also yes norton seems most likely to be the cause but i cant figure out how to stop it

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Norton Removal Tool. I would first uninstall the normal way and I assume that you can just quit when the tool gets to the reinstall part.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Well since things are working using IE, I would say that the issues are with Chrome.

Since you have Windows 10, how does thing work using Edge?

We do not install Chrome on any of our machines.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice