Abnormal Boot Time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JmanA9

I have a machine which takes about 2 minutes to come to the Windows 2000 boot screen. It'll hang at the BIOS POST screen for about 2 minutes, beep, then go to the Windows 2000 boot screen. However, if I disconnect the hard drive, the problem goes away, and boots up quickly. The same thing happens if I boot from a floppy or cd (they boot before the hard drive), as long as I have the hard drive connected. If the drive's not connected, it boots up quickly, and normally. I've tried putting the hard drive at the top of the boot list, and the problem still happens. There's an option in the BIOS for hard drive read delay. I've tried changing it from the minimum to the maximum, and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

The hard drive may be faulty, I would also check the voltage of the CMOS battery (should be at least 3V) as a flat battery can cause delays on startup.

It certainly sounds like the harddrive is acting up. I would suggest you run Scandisk and then Defrag to help sort it out a little. Besides that, you could check to make sure the jumper is set to "master" on the harddrive, if its set to "cable select" it might take a while longer to boot from it.

The life of the current installation comes into play here, as well. After a few years of continuous or near-continuous use, the registry of the system will swell among other things and cause the system to slow down. If you haven't reformatted your harddrive or done a system restore if you have a brand-name PC, you might wanna start backing up your data and try to go that route.

Of course, if the harddrive is going bad, you'll want to back up your data either way!!

Lastly, you could try resetting your BIOS to see if that clears up the POST delay.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online