1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

abnormal mapping issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by watersong, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watersong

watersong Thread Starter

Very strange issue. First off I am replacing a 3 XP setup with 1 acting as a "server" and 2 clients. I have to replicate everything the way it was because the employee who is essential to keeping things running is a really miserable and counter productive kind of person. But I really liked the owners and recently the owners wife who knew how thier antiquated DOS system worked inside and out and (naturally) didn't document was killed by a reckless dump truck driver so I'm doing this for them. they all shared thier C:\ drives as \\server\C so to avoid issues with the grouch I did the same.

so the mapped drive letters and info
    S:\ = \\server\C = C:\ on the server
    P:\ = \\server\Peachtree = C:\Programs\Sage\Peachtree on the server

and to keep her quiet each of the clients are sharing thier C:\ drives as \\client#\C and maped with other drive letters

all 3 xp machines have the same username and password and the share security has everyone with full privs and everyone in the share permissions with all 3 privs. I can read, write, rename everything in almost any folder

I used net config server /autodisconnect:-1 to prevent the shares and lpt1: mapped printers from disconnecting and screwing up the DOS programs. and for the most part it worked.

So why is the S:\ drive always showing as disconnected ... it opens quickly but even when open in a window and even if I don't map the P:\ drive, the S:\ still shows as disconnected in My Computer. All of the other shares maintain their connections indefinitely and no issues with the printers

I've gone into the registry to delete the mapping info and when i recreate it, 'disconnected network drive' shows up right away, sometimes instantly and sometimes after a few seconds.

I had trouble even deciding what search terms to use but all the answers pointed at the auto-disconnect feature

I have also tried using IP's with the same result. If I map a share on client1 to client2 I can see both that share and the C:\ share so it's not a conflict.

Firewalls off had no affect, using MSE for A/V
    Any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice