1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Abnormally slow internet speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JDemps, Sep 14, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. JDemps

JDemps Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Over the past week or so I've been experiencing some ridiculously slow net speeds. I've run speed tests on 3 different sites. The site that my provider (Optus) recommended, speedtest.net, showed a completely normal speed of 30mbs down and 1mbs up. The google speed test showed a much different reading of 0.5 down and 0.03 up. This was also the case on the 3rd site i used. Now I'm not very tech savvy, so I usually check my ping by looking at a steam game servers ping, which under normal circumstances is about 20ms. At the moment its sitting at 700-1000ms. Another option I use is looking at my 'discords' latency, its currrently sitting between 1000-2000. My friend also told me use the cmd prompt option and to see the ping for google. The readings were consistently between 1300-1800 ping.
    I've called Optus and they've told me that they cant see any faults in line from their end.
    Finally, I've reset the modem numerous times to no avail. If anyone has any idea what might be causing this issue, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

From what you said here, your upload/download speeds appear to be normal.
    Different speed testing sites will give you different results.

Are you testing your speeds with a wired ethernet connection or with a wireless connection?

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196341