1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aborted a low level format process

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whatamess, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatamess

whatamess Thread Starter

Hi I made a stupid mistake and started low level formatting an external (USB) hard drive using windows 7 starter thinking it was a small partition on the laptop drive (I couldn't see the contents of the drive on windows 7!!). A few minutes into this process I realised I was formatting my external hard drive and pulled the USB plug. I plugged the external drive back into my old computer which uses vista and obviously I can't read this drive properly now (presumably because the partition is screwed up). I have heard that the low level format process should take a while (and I was trying to format a terabyte hard drive) so is there any way I can rebuild and recover some of the data on this drive?

I actually downloaded HDD Recovery and tried the recovery option but after scanning a 32GB (not 931GB) FAT32 partition, it tried to build a tree structure and came up with what seemed to be a bunch of gobbledygook. I actually found some documents and videos that I recognised but have not pressed recover as I can clearly see that it is a very small fraction of what I once had on the drive (I can only see very few word documents and media files, I was using about 680GB of the drive) and do not want to ruin any chances of recovering much more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/944793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice