1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About Blank (got it again)

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ajsfi, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajsfi

ajsfi Thread Starter

Can someone please help.This darn thing is worse than any virus. I would like to run a " hijack this" log, but I do not remember how to get it open so that I can copy & paste. Every time that I try to open it, it says that it is not a PDF. How do I open it in wordpad ?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not sure where you are getting that error. If it is when you try to save the log, right click on the saved log file and rename it with a .txt extension instead of .log. Make sure you don't have "hide file extensions" checked in Folder Options > view when trying this.

also,

HijackThis is an "exe", however if you downloaded it in zip format, you must have a zip program to unzip it. If you have Windows XP or WinME, they have built in zip utilities and should not generate that error.

Try downloading the exe directly and running that. Let me know if you still get the same error.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/supportfiles/HijackThis1982.exe

3. ajsfi

ajsfi Thread Starter

When I unzip the file & save to my documents, I try to open it & it tries to open with acrobat reader but can not open. I am running win 98se

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you unzipping it to its own folder, or trying to open it from within the zip container?

Anyway, try the direct, unzipped, download above. Be sure to save it to a permanent folder (right click on the url and select "save target as"). What you should see is an icon with a dynamite plunger and some red sticks of dynamite. If you do not see that you are not trying to open HijackThis.exe

5. ajsfi

ajsfi Thread Starter

I do see the plunger & sticks. Then I run the scan & that is fine. When I try to save the log in my documents, it tries to open in acrobat reader but cant. In my documents, it shows as an acrobat reader icon.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Whereever you have HijackThis saved it will also save a copy of that log file. If you are having trouble opening it after tryinng the following, just upload it here as an attachment.

To permanently correct this problem, select (highlight) the saved file. Then Shift+Right click on it. You should get an "open with" dialog. Find Notepad in the scroll window, select that, select "always use" and OK. That should make the association permanent.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice