1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

? about building a x64 bit system (did'nt see it in the guide)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hairybusdriver, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hairybusdriver

hairybusdriver Thread Starter

I read the building your own system guide, but didn't find anything on the subject of 64 bt systems. I'm going to build my own system, and im ordering the parts soon, but what i wanted to know was, in order to build a 64 bit enabled system, don't i have to just use a 64 bit processor.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

To run 64bit programs you need both a 64bit processor (e.g. Athlon64, Phenom, late model P4s with 64bit extensions, Core2) and a 64bit operating system (e.g. Windows XP Pro 64bit, Windows Vista 64bit, Ubuntu Linux 64bit, Solaris 10, OpenBSD 4.2 64bit, FreeBSD 7.0 64bit... there are dozens of them). It isn't really worth the trouble unless you need more than 4GB of RAM, as you run into some weird problems, e.g. if you use the 64bit version of Firefox, you can't install the Java runtime or Flash player as they only support 32bit browsers. There are ways around this, but it's a pain. Even though I have a 64bit processor (Core2 Duo), I run 32bit operating systems instead because it's less hassle. There is actually very little extra performance to be gained by moving to 64bit except for a few applications that are optimised for it. [email protected] seems to like it, if you're running a 64bit SSE3-optimised client, if that's your thing.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do intend to install X64 operating system, do check to see that ALL of your software and hardware will work with the os. I do use vista enterprise 64 however unless you are sure that ALL of your hardware has 64bit drivers available. Do this before you buy a windows 64bit os.

I like the 64bit os since it just seems faster and more responsive. I did have to give up an old 16bit calendar app I have used for at least 15 years since 64bit os do not support 16bit apps. They do run most 32bit apps.

4. hairybusdriver

hairybusdriver Thread Starter

Cool, since i already have a phenom, ill just upgrade to windows pro 64 bit. as for the wierd problems, ill just cope with them, figure them out. Thanks for the tips guys.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice