Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

About deleting temporary internet files...

743 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  zephyr 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just wondering if it is a bad idea to delete the temporary internet files I found in

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5

They are in folders with names like 'KV25W70N' and they are all xml documents, security certificates and revocation lists - none of which means anything to me.

Or is my being too picky about the cleanliness of my harddrive likely to cause problems?
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Unless you have a specific problem that implicates the TIFs, it's a big waste of effort to try to keep them cleaned up. Windows will normally handle that job for you quite well.

Cleaning them up prior to a backup may have merit but generally not since any good backup program will ignore these and any other "Single Session" files.

You can set the maximum size of the cache used to store these files and let Windows handle the rest. I suggest a cache size no larger than 50 Megs for the average user. I use 10 Megs but I have a broadband connection and choose the "Every Visit to the Page" mode offered in settings. If you are using a dial up modem, you would instead want to set it your Browser to either "Automatic" or "Never" and see which one suited you better. "Never" works fastest but if you often want current info, it's the least likely to provide that and refreshing is required, so you get back to where you would have been with the "Automatic setting. If running "Never," you would also need to bump the cache setting up to around 100 megs or whatever seems to work for you best.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.